Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Paint Details Summary Thread for an early 67S

subscribed

Front left fender - Fuel supply bowl - Black satin?

We are reaching a small, but rather dubious area now. The fuel supply bowl in the left fender. The question is: Is satin black applied by the factory or not?

By investigating that area, is becomes clear how many front fenders already have been replaced and have not been backdated.
    This is easily remarkable by e.g. the hole, for the wish washer supply in later models, if it is not closed. Also the part of the hinge mounted to the fender, has sometimes the later form and/or the non-symmetric position for the 3 screws.

Although it is not fully certain, I think I found one car with an original fender. In that case satin black is applied:

Name:  IMG_9727.JPG
Views: 921
Size:  55.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4353.JPG
Views: 926
Size:  93.4 KB

Following pictures come from concours winners, but have a new fender and have no black satin:

Name:  concours winner with new fender.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  63.8 KB

Name:  Photo+Feb+21,+8+53+11+AM.jpg
Size:  13.7 KB

This one has also a new fender, and might have used some satin black longer time ago:

Name:  IMG_0510.JPG
Views: 916
Size:  38.0 KB

In this thread the satin black finish for the gas filler is also mentioned in relationship to 1967:

And here a picture can be found of a satin black finish on a model 1969 Karmann:

Maybe it is only Karmann/for later models?

Does anyone have more evidence of the use or non-use of black satin in this area? Thanks a lot in advance!
    Last edited by Adore911; 11-11-2018 at 02:22 PM.

For what is it worth, I have observations from three unrestored cars, 65/66/67 and all were body color

I had an original paint 68 and it was black.
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

Quote Originally Posted by Adore911 View Post
    We are reaching a small, but rather dubious area now. The fuel supply bowl in the left fender. The question is: Is satin black applied by the factory or not?

By investigating that area, is becomes clear how many front fenders already have been replaced and have not been backdated.
    This is easily remarkable by e.g. the hole, for the wish washer supply in later models, if it is not closed. Also the part of the hinge mounted to the fender, has sometimes the later form and/or the non-symmetric position for the 3 screws.

Although it is not fully certain, I think I found one car with an original fender. In that case satin black is applied:

Name:  IMG_9727.JPG
Size:  55.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4353.JPG
Views: 926
Size:  93.4 KB

Following pictures come from concours winners, but have a new fender and have no black satin:

Name:  concours winner with new fender.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  63.8 KB

Name:  Photo+Feb+21,+8+53+11+AM.jpg
Size:  13.7 KB

This one has also a new fender, and might have used some satin black longer time ago:

Name:  IMG_0510.JPG
Views: 916
Size:  38.0 KB

In this thread the satin black finish for the gas filler is also mentioned in relationship to 1967:

And here a picture can be found of a satin black finish on a model 1969 Karmann:

Maybe it is only Karmann/for later models?

Does anyone have more evidence of the use or non-use of black satin in this area? Thanks a lot in advance!
    if the yellow car is 308131S i doubt it`s original paint in the filler bucket..

Quote Originally Posted by joegt3cup View Post
    I had an original paint 68 and it was black.
    any pics?...

INTERIOR/CABINE - floors, dashboard, tunnel, rockers...

Before I address the interior or cabine area, I would like to thank 718RSK for his recent thread on this subject. The applied way of working matches my findings sofar. But we can be wrong, so please feel free to add your substantiated remarks.

To summarize, I made a kind of drawing to explain the three steps. (doors are part of a next post)

Step 1:Underseal
    • Factory applied this over steel on the mid section of the cabine from back to front: from the parcel shelf (not the vertical perforated part) till where the vertical part under the dashboard started. Some splashes can be noted at the bottom of:
      • the vertical part under the dashboard
      • the inner rockers
      • the tunnel

• Some areas were masked to avoid underseal building up
    • Some sources state that also following sections were entirely covered with underseal (for the time being not taken into account in the drawing):
      • the sidewalls next to the rear seats (till just under the window)
      • the entire inner rockers
      • the vertical side under the dashboard till under the connectors

Step 2: Body colour
    • The vertical perforated part under the parcel shelf was painted with some overspray
    • The roof
    • The sidewalls next to the rear seats incl. B-pillar
    • Inner rockers
    • A-pillar and entire dashboard almost till the bottom of the vertical part under the dashboard

Step 3: Satin black
    • Over the underseal (and the areas masked for underseal)
    • On the sidewalls next to the rear seats (till just under under windows, but not on B-pillar and reinforcement)
    • On the inner rockers (sometimes not till the edge of the door)
    • On the tunnel
    • On the dashboard from bottom of vertical part up to front (not on mid horizontal section, e.g. with the yellow written VIN)
    • On the dashboard near the window with sometimes some spray on the underside of the window frame (e.g. 10 cm)

Mind that the black paint looks e.g. more glossy under the dashboard (vertical part from floor till under connectors) and on the tunnel than e.g.on the dashboard front/upper surface.

Name:  cabine 67S - painting concept - Adore911.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  54.6 KB

The findings match the factory picture related to the 1967 model:

Name:  IMG_4280.JPG
Views: 829
Size:  139.7 KB

Some examples of cars:

Name:  Porsche-911-2_0S-1967-24.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  218.6 KB

Name:  carrosserie-gestraald-4_5659415938_o.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4317.JPG
Views: 810
Size:  103.8 KB

Name:  Photo+Jul+25,+2+08+45+PM.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  23.6 KB

Name:  IMG_7724 (2).jpg
Views: 821
Size:  67.7 KB

Name:  IMG_7820.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  Photo+Jul+25,+2+10+14+PM.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  17.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3914.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  72.2 KB
    Last edited by Adore911; 11-13-2018 at 04:10 AM.

I will comment when I have some more time but think you should also include the primer colors used for the various colors

Luggage compartment - vin masking

Thanks for your encouraging and contributing reactions.

Before Fritz und Heinz covered the luggage compartment (a.k.a. front trunk or frunk) with underseal, they masked the VIN with a rectangle masking tape, going from the left from the VIN to approx. 3 cm after the VIN. Afterwards it was covered with black paint.

Name:  67S VIN.jpg
Size:  154.6 KB

Images from other references:

Name:  1253_p27_l.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  112.0 KB

Name:  imageMCS49R0D.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  13.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0059.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  188.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4179.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  101.6 KB

Name:  Bruce%20Jennings%2067S%20Sithot.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  129.8 KB

Name:  DSC_1006.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  105.5 KB

Name:  Porsche-911-2_0S-1967-28.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  234.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Adore911 View Post
    Thanks for your encouraging and contributing reactions.

Before Fritz und Heinz covered the luggage compartment (a.k.a. front trunk or frunk) with underseal, they masked the VIN with a rectangle masking tape, going from the left from the VIN to approx. 3 cm after the VIN. Afterwards it was covered with black paint.

Name:  67S VIN.jpg
Size:  154.6 KB

not not true for most 305xxxS cars i have seen.

do we know the with of the tape? i measured it for a projejt but i don`t remember...20mm?
    Attached Images Attached Images