Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no temp

no temp

My 2 ltr mag case just won't get up to temp in cold weather. I have tried the obvious, checked and changed thermostats. Is there a case modification I'm not familiar with that could have been performed that bypasses the thermostat? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by sanders; 11-12-2018 at 05:43 AM.

No. The thermostat is not opening somehow. Did you do the boiling water test?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

My problem appears to be the oil is always going through the cooler, like the thermostat is open and never closes. That is the symptom yet the thermostat(s) appear closed when inspected.

what thermostat do you have? if you stick an LWB one in there it probably won't work.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I had the exact same problem for years, oil wouldn't warm up for anything. It even appeared that my thermostat was adjustable, and I tried to adjust it. No joy. Finally the "adjustment rod" (probably factory calibration) stripped the housing and popped out, spraying oil all over my engine bay. I replaced it with another identical looking unit and suddenly my oil started getting warm. The old one that failed did pass the boiling water test - but clearly didn't work when installed.

I know you said you've tried more than one thermostat, but maybe try a third?

Good luck.

Maybe your engine is warming up but the gauge is reading wrong. Use an infra-red heat gun to verify the engine temp.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I have checked with infra-red gun and it confirms my cool temps. Bottom of case and oil filter all within 5 degs. of gauge. I'll continue to swap thermostats. Thanks for the input.

Today the temperature at mid-day was 50 degs. Went for a spirited drive with the 4th different thermostat. After an hour the engine temp was 150. This is a 2ltr E motor with Webers, 11 blade fan, 30 degs advance and NGK 8 heat range. ?????!

By the way, you don't have a front cooler also do you? I would have expected 170 anyway. What do you get in hotter weather?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Only an engine mounted cooler. On a 95 deg. day and aggressive driving it can reach 220.