Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help on wide S bumper trim

Help on wide S bumper trim

Can anyone provide insight into fit, quality and correctness of currently available wide S bumper trim for 69-73 front and rear?

There seems to be a few options, but pictures and supplier descriptions of parts are difficult to base a purchase on.

I would appreciate any info on recent experiences with this bits... Thanks.
    Cheers,

Jones...
    early S # 2626
    '71 911T
    '05 BMW 330ci
    '22 Wills Sainte Claire
    '96 S10 truck

Hi Jones- I can only share my experience putting the bumper trim on my ‘69E about 8 years ago. At the time, there was some discussion about correctness, which you can probably find by searching. I ended up getting front and rear EASY. Jim said they were made by the same place, Tasker?, that supplied Stoddard, SMC and the rest.

As far as fitment to your bumpers, this is a significant task that should be attempted by someone with body work experience. The curves from the supplier are close, but not anywhere near Porsche close, and the S trim is a b!t(# to bend. The guy who ‘fit’ (more artwork) the trim on my car has over 40 years in 356 body work and used his English wheel to bend the trim. He also cut the angle for the reflectors perfectly.

I would also recommend fitting the trim before you paint...
    Cheers,

Ron

1961 356 Roadster Outlaw
    1969 911E ROW Coupe ‘Orangina’
    1968 911 SWT Burgundy Red project

I found the Stoddard rear repros to be a good fit. As good as OEM pieces I had in my stash.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by tom1394racing View Post
    I found the Stoddard rear repros to be a good fit. As good as OEM pieces I had in my stash.
    Thanks Tom, those do look very good. Can you tell me if those are Stoddard part# SIC-505-046-51? Are the reflectors also from Stoddard?
    Cheers,

Jones...
    early S # 2626
    '71 911T
    '05 BMW 330ci
    '22 Wills Sainte Claire
    '96 S10 truck

Quote Originally Posted by rdelmendo View Post
    Hi Jones- I can only share my experience putting the bumper trim on my ‘69E about 8 years ago. At the time, there was some discussion about correctness, which you can probably find by searching. I ended up getting front and rear EASY. Jim said they were made by the same place, Tasker?, that supplied Stoddard, SMC and the rest.

As far as fitment to your bumpers, this is a significant task that should be attempted by someone with body work experience. The curves from the supplier are close, but not anywhere near Porsche close, and the S trim is a b!t(# to bend. The guy who ‘fit’ (more artwork) the trim on my car has over 40 years in 356 body work and used his English wheel to bend the trim. He also cut the angle for the reflectors perfectly.

I would also recommend fitting the trim before you paint...
    Thanks Ron... My car is very close to paint and I am planning to have the trims fitted first. I'm hoping someone will provide some input on current reproduction front trim... serious price difference between reproduction and Porsche Classic, and the repro rears look pretty decent.
    Cheers,

Jones...
    early S # 2626
    '71 911T
    '05 BMW 330ci
    '22 Wills Sainte Claire
    '96 S10 truck

I just bought some S Trim for the rear bumpers from AASE parts and I was SHOCKED by how GOOD they fit. Previously I had bought some S Trim from the Porsche dealership for about 3x the price and the curvature was so bad I did not even attempt to fit it. Although the rear bumper horns from AASE did not fit at all and were returned with no problem.

I am assembling a 1970 911 T Targa

Rodger@orbitracing.com

I appreciate your input Rodger, Thanks
    Cheers,

Jones...
    early S # 2626
    '71 911T
    '05 BMW 330ci
    '22 Wills Sainte Claire
    '96 S10 truck

Quote Originally Posted by tom1394racing View Post
    Tom, did these pieces come with the aluminum base or did you buy rubber insert only?
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Quote Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
    Tom, did these pieces come with the aluminum base or did you buy rubber insert only?
    My pieces came from Stoddard compete with the Al base, the rubber insert and the backing seal.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

I also installed the new Stoddard rear trim. Fit was perfect without further bending.