Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help on wide S bumper trim

the backing seal that comes from all the suppliers is a little bit wider than the original one . You can buy this rubber from porsche .it is also easier to install because it is softer.And it is not expensive

Update on my initial request for help... I ended up ordering reproduction front and rear decos from AASE. The rear pieces are very close to perfect I would say; the front however is bad. I was honestly surprised that anyone would think it could be acceptable enough to ship it off to a customer. (see images below) I contacted AASE, they were great to deal with and we came to a mutually acceptable resolution.
    I did find out that their supplier of the rear pieces is Stoddard, and regardless of price I don't think OEM Porsche pieces could be any better. The front piece is from Tasker, and well they need to up their game. The aluminum piece might be ok (except for small dents and scratches in the anodizing), but the rubber insert is junk.

Another comment for Porsche restoration parts suppliers... Provide descriptions of your parts, not just what it is, but how good it is. Not everyone is looking for perfection and some are happy to take reduced quality for reduced price, others want only perfection and will pay the price for it. At least spell it out for the customers; shipping is too costly for surprise packages!

Name:  IMG_1413.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1417.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  66.1 KB
    Cheers,

Jones...
    early S # 2626
    '71 911T
    '05 BMW 330ci
    '22 Wills Sainte Claire
    '96 S10 truck

I had heard similar reports on the repro front trim. I was told that the Porsche Classic piece was the best available option. I ordered it but have not tried to install yet.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Tasker has always been CRAP. Back when they were the only game in town I guess they could get away with it. Maybe they sell enough to not care about quality and competition, but w the increased interest and values of Porsche’s there should be better alternatives. Maybe they will up their game, but some how I doubt it. I think they deserve praise for at least being there early in the game when there no others, but it is time to improve.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post

Another comment for Porsche restoration parts suppliers... Provide descriptions of your parts, not just what it is, but how good it is. Not everyone is looking for perfection and some are happy to take reduced quality for reduced price, others want only perfection and will pay the price for it. At least spell it out.
    Lol! How would you describe the Tasker part then? "This part is crap but cheap"? That part should never have been shipped out, would be nice to have a thread on who makes good parts. There is a parts supplier in the south east who has reproduced parts mostly for 914's who ships out crap 50% of the time. He knows its crap before it goes out but he also knows that you are not going to ship it back 50% of the time and just toss in the garbage where it belongs.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    Lol! How would you describe the Tasker part then? "This part is crap but cheap"? That part should never have been shipped out, would be nice to have a thread on who makes good parts. There is a parts supplier in the south east who has reproduced parts mostly for 914's who ships out crap 50% of the time. He knows its crap before it goes out but he also knows that you are not going to ship it back 50% of the time and just toss in the garbage where it belongs.
    If it’s the parts supplier in Atlanta w the name Atlanta in its name you are lucky if you even received the part.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

I just got done installing the wide S bumper trim on my front bumper. I ordered the Porsche Classic Al trim piece (901-505-045-51) along with the wide S rubber insert (901-505-405-51). Both very expensive items but I had heard that the repro parts did not fit very well at all. I also tried the backing trim piece (999-911-198-40) in the Stoddard catalog. The backing trim piece did not have the correct profile to fit the back of the Al trim strip, would not stay in place and was not wide enough. I was able to locate the correct original backing trim and used that instead.

I would say the fit was close to perfect. I installed the Al trim strip piece with backing first and found it conformed to the bumper profile very nicely. I then lubed up the rubber insert and the grooves in the Al strip with Dawn dish detergent and slid the rubber insert into place. The studs in the end of the rubber lined up nicely with the hole in the bumper and the ends of the rubber match nicley with the ends of the Al trim piece. Overall very happy with the fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

So you are saying Stoddard is fine for the rear, but shill out for Porsche Classic for the front?
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Tom, I buy the 356 profile backing from Int. Mercantile. It is the correct narrow width and snaps into the profile much easier.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I'm no expert but I think the Porsche ones don't have a join at the tapered end whereas the repros do have a join.