Thread: 50000 miles in 911

50000 miles in 911

Not sure if this has been posted before but unlike most short road tests of that time this is a long-term road test of an early 91- published in 1970. Done over 50k miles and four years' "ownership" apparently. Not my era car but sharing as might be of interest to some here. The "D" suffix in UK registration plate system denotes first registration 1966 and article is Jan 70:

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Maybe the featured road car LJJ10D is still around?

Coincidentally I would've been at that RAC rally in the area where the car broke down through poor fuel as a young kid I used to get along to the rally events in that area in late sixties/ early seventies with my Dad. In fact one year our family car broke down while refuelling at Selby Fork service but in fairness it was a clutch cable snapping not a fuel quality issue in our case.

The Inn in photo is over 400 years' old near site of Roman fort and 12th century Castle. https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/...astle/history/
    There are some great driving roads in the sales around North Yorkshire Southwest Durham area and plenty of other castles and historical places nearby to take a break. Like this museum in Bowes..
    image.jpg
    Another castle 5 miles away ...
    image.jpg
    Or a more preserved 14 century Raby Castle 5 miles away
    image.jpg
    Or Durham castle and Cathedral origins 1093 world heritage site just 20 miles from there
    image.jpg

Pity the current version of the rally doesn't cover the same extensive circuit nor get the volume of entries. For rally fans a Waldegård 911 in the RAC rally that author / driver was covering pictured in same source:
    image.jpg

Enjoy

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 11-21-2018 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Add rally car photo