Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post your maintenance record book editions

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    ...also just noticed that it is one of the NA 2,500 print run examples (2.5M) with first print date I/73 (Jan 73) being used six + months later for a mid July 73 delivered USA car. Shipping to USA longer than Channel hop to UK but USA is probably shorter shipping than Aus shipping on other side of globe from Germany ....so interesting to contrast the different book print dates and quantities of other lateish (July 73) cars in UK and AUS as posted here (and elsewhere). Seems to suggest the ROW English for predominantly RHD markets had four goes to get the quantity of books right for model year 73, despite much smaller country/ populations and consequently fewer 911 sales. While smaller markets English ROW are geographically widespread around globe UK, SA, Aus, SA, HK? Possibly a factor?
    To clarify, the manufacture date for my '73E was May 1973 and the July date (July 13, 1973) was when the first owner took delivery from the dealer.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Thanks for clarifying Doug. Point taken the difference is less if first print date of maintenance record book is compared to date of car manufacture. I referenced delivery date in making the observation on your car vs others delivered at similar date.

I had supposed on this tread if we get a date provided at all it will most likely be the date as first written in relevant part of the record book at dealer handover to first owner. I had assumed this because with a book ready to take a photo the date of handover to customer is probably written in pen. Right there. With such a knowledgable forum maybe more milestones on each car are well known and people might choose to share them.

Dates of handing over to customer across many geographies and across years clearly has lots of variables. Date of manufacture if known, possibly less so.

At this point we are very early stages of building an overall picture. Hopefully more insights will come if / when more booklet examples are added. Unless there is an analysis of this I've missed probably just begun to scratch the surface.

In the OP i was trying to make it as easy and minimally intrusive as possible to get the ball rolling on lots of examples.

David, personally I was curious to see all the different editions and versions of books across model years, languages/geographies and markets. The different "Editions/print date batches" (any dates just being broadly indicative).

Hugh added a further goal about understanding the pattern of the kd heft nr which is interesting if it can also be determined from the same posts. Suspect it might require more of examples to see any patterns at that level.

Hadn't given it too much thought, I'd just picked up an idea from Ian over on DDK that focused on one books in English from UK importer /AFN dealer and figured similar questions could be broadened with wider search here. Whatever is of interest about deepening knowledge of the maintenance record books supplied with early 911 just fine by me.

Open to ideas on what is reasonable to ask posters share that will bring useful insights into these various maintenance handbook and links to warranty before we get too far down the track with the examples thread.

Books get lost so even those wiling might not be in a position to post. Also I'm sure this topic of won't be everyone's cup of tea but as previously stated I suspect our collective knowledge sbout these booklets is currently quite low compared many other obscure early 911 topics that have been researched in vast detail. Like most things there will be the usual real world inconsistencies and randomness to work through: books lost in transit, books leftover in dealer drawers to use up, books switched inadvertently, hasty changes to reflect model year and in year changes, printing extra batch when book volumes start running low etc etc. Nevertheless some general patterns and an enhanced level of knowledge about these books should emerge if plenty more booklet examples do get posted in a single thread.

Best
    Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 11-30-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Here is my maintenance booklet for a 12/69 build 911E. Interesting that the car sat with the dealer for a year before selling it. Delivered with 25 miles on the odometer. The 661 miles was the reading at the 600 mile inspection. Sorry for the horizontal pictures. I did something wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI

Don't mean to hijack this thread..but this COA in Spanish from a 912 residing in Portugal is interesting. There are only 5 or 6- 912's from Portugal listed in the 912vin.com database.
    http://www.912vin.com/upload/350228_certificate.JPG

http://www.912vin.com/upload/350228_IMG_6486.jpg

added a picture of the 912 in a striking (for 912's) color
    Last edited by Tom Michelsen; 12-02-2018 at 02:26 PM. Reason: added
    1969 912 tangerine coupe 82K original miles
    1974 911 red targa 71K original miles

Tom Michelsen
    Central Coast Heaven

Shell Beach, California

Thanks David ... 4304.23. So the 11/69 for USA was 04 for model year 70 on the third and fourth digits. Ian who's original question about UK importer AFN over on DDK inspired this broader thread to be started here has also posted a model year 70 ROW example on DDK -- also showing 4304 but with .20 language/market. Would be good to add that image here to build the picture please Ian.

Peter's USA XI/71 for model year 72 example was 4306.23. An example posted by Darren on DDK was also 4306.20 but ROW English version. Daren could you also re-post your images here here too for completeness please?

From the quite a few different examples with 4309 seems consistent Print reference for model year 1973 across (all versions and market geographies seen so far)
    From the couple of examples 4306 seems to be model year 1972
    And 4304 for model year 1970 printed IX/69 so at beginning of model year cycle also seems to be the pattern.

Initially when starting the thread I had wondered if the four digit (430x) print reference for these booklets saw increments on x with each September to August model version year starting from introduction of 901/911 with 4300 or 4301 -- but too many years not yet posted to conclude much. However the jump from 4306 to 4309 between 72 and 73 model years maybe suggests not the case!

Let's see what it tells us if/when 4300, 01, 02, 03, 05, 07 and 08 examples get shown here to help fill gaps and see patterns. With a more examples it may soon be useful to tabulate thrm to see the evolution and patterns at a glance.

Steve

PS Tom, nice to see info about low volume countries. If the 912 from Portugal also has a original maintenance booklet (rather than a modern CoA) that picture might be more relevant to the thread allowing us to to see what language and market suffix it shows on inside front page.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-02-2018 at 01:35 PM.

member #1515
    Strange that they would have a COA in Spanish for a Portuguese car. Lumping the Iberian peninsula into one.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

The factory lumped us Brits with the Aussies for crying out loud (and many other far flung places around the world too ) all grouped as .20 ROW English markets -- despite the Cricket Ashes tournaments and many other friendly rivalries with folks down under

Joking apart. How did it work with these Maintenance record groupings. Were there Spanish or Portuguese versions of these books. If so did they link in to Spanish or Portuguese speaking places in South America that bought Porsche products similar to English language ROW that spanned over ten thousand miles.

I am more used to seeing German, English / 'merican, French and Italian versions of these books. Would love to see examples from this era, if they exist? Was there a Spanish Portuguese or other language print suffix from longhood era books ?

I've seen importer memos and dealer communication in Dutch for example but not seen maintenance record in Dutch. There were certainly many different Cxx country equipment code -- but they're discussed elsewhere -- so probably best to not lose this thread main focus on seeing the different year and country maintenance record editions (unless of course less commonly seen examples of the records actually do get posted).
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-02-2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Typo

MY70 ROW english:

Name:  inner page.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  41.9 KB

Thanks appreciate it. Another example of 4304.xx.

So far still three: 4304, 4306 and 4309 which maybe is to be expected given examples posted so far are cover just part of the entire long hood era -- other years not yet seen. Unless I've missed it, still nothing posted (yet) for 4300, 01, 02, 03, 05, 07 and 08. Were these digits in character position four never used for different editions of these these books? I suspect some editions were actually printed with these other numbers but we've just not seen enough book examples for them to emerge yet.

Steve

Here is mine for a 05/73 911E delivered in the USA
    Name:  BADCA30E-3CBA-4E47-8C7B-651CA28375E2.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  34.9 KBName:  9AE14428-6D5F-4DC4-AF5B-1FA2FCE05E8E.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  66.0 KB
    Early 911 S Registry member #3308
    911E 1973 - Brownie- 66k original miles - Second owner
    911E 1971 - gold metallic - sold and missed
    912 1966 - sold