Thread: First post introduction....

First post introduction....

Hey men....I wanted to introduce myself.

I was in third grade when I saw my first 911. Mother had picked us kids up at school. Riding in the back of our station wagon, I was looking out the back window and there it was, at a stop sign a few cars back. It mesmerized me. I’d never seen a car so cool, different and beautiful before. After gazing at it, I asked my older brother if he knew who owned that car. He said “Yeah, that’s so ‘n so’s new Porsche”. And it’s been a life long love affair (or affliction?) for the following 50 years. Anyway...

I purchased 304307 last February. It’s a matching numbers ‘66. Build completion date of 04/26/1966. There’s a bit of discussion on this site already....

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ghlight=304307

The car has original wheels now. And I absolutely love this automobile. After a lifetime of different 911’s...I wanted to find out what the original one’s are like. It’s everything I’d hoped for. Basic. Honest. Fun.

I’ve put close to 3000 miles on it since acquisition last February. The first 500 miles or so we’re spent sorting the car. The carbs wanted to clog up. This happened several times. After a couple of fuel filters and adding an extra one, it’s run like a clock since.

My confidence in it is to the point that....I’m thinking of driving her to Miami and back this week. (Close to 2000 miles). Anyway...just wanting to make some connections on the forum. (I’m no mechanic. He’s an older gentleman who lives close by who’s worked on nothing but Porsche’s most of his life).

There is one thing I thought of tonight. The valves haven’t been adjusted on this car since I’ve owned it. I was reading where they should be adjusted every 1000 miles? Is this correct? If so...by the time I get home...the valves will not have been adjusted since I’ve owned her.

Would this be reason to cancel the trip? I don’t wanna mess up this car.

Anyway...that’s the deal.

David

In 66 valve adjustment interval was 6000 miles. Later Porsche changed it to 10,000 miles to comply with emission interval requirements. So when was the last adjustment check?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thumbs up

Welcome David...
    And welcome as a contributor to the site...
    Looks like'ya got a great car...
    Your adventures have just begun...
    Looking forward to many more posts...

Oh, and believe anything Ed Mayo tells'ya…

Holiday Cheers,
    Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    In 66 valve adjustment interval was 6000 miles. Later Porsche changed it to 10,000 miles to comply with emission interval requirements. So when was the last adjustment check?
    New pistons were put in it by the prior owner 5000 miles ago. To my knowledge, the valves haven’t been adjusted since then.

I’ve got a gasket set. I’m gonna call the guy in the morning and see if he’ll check ‘em tomorrow. I can still get out of here if he’ll do it.

Thanks Chuck. Will do!

Welcome David. My car was built a few weeks after yours and is slowly coming back to life after doing all the metalwork. Currently being painted. I look forward to seeing and reading more of your really nice car!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Thanks Stephen. Called "my guy" and said "come on by" on the valves. So hopefully I'll be headin' to warmer climes soon.

I'll be lookin' forward to updates on your car. Slate grey....one of the all time great colors in my view.
    ‘87 911
    ‘66 304307
    S Registry #3791
    David Cate