Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for info on my 70 911s

Looking for info on my 70 911s

What can you tell me about this car? My father passed away and we are going to sell his 1970 911S he was a member on the early s registry for years. we are looking for info on where to offer it for sale. I don't know know how to get rid of this car and get a fair price for it.

The car was purchased in Italy when he was in the Navy in 1985. When he got it, it had been repainted in its original metallic green color and the chrome was blacked out.

When our family moved back to the US my father had the car imported in 1985 I believe he had door reinforcements installed in order to import it. He had the lights and speedo changed to US specs. Eventually he painted it a tan color. We ended up moving overseas again and he put the car in storage again. When we came back to the states and he retired in 1990 , he decided to restore the car again, and do it right. He had everything stripped and the car repainted. He had these European guys do the work. They used Glasurit paint and other european supplies. The engine was rebuilt by Heinz Badde. This was in 1992 or so. The car looked really good and had a lot of new parts. The engine was updated with carrera tensioners. It also has stainless heat exchangers.

When it was all restored it never did seem to run at 100 percent. The car seemed kind of anemic. Trying to fix this problem he had the distrubutor rebuilt by Stoddard. He also had the fuel injection rebuilt by someplace called Pacific. He had eventually put a pertronix ignition in the car. At one point he had the top end rebuilt (by Ivan at dulles motorsports maybe) after the initial rebuild. Someone thought the transmission was the problem so he had the transmission replaced with a good used transmission. We still have the original transmission. The original transmission seemed to work fine but might need to be rebuilt.

One of the last time he drove the car he was pulled over by the police. When he pulled over the officer told him to shut off the car. He pulled him over because the car was spraying gasoline and the officer saw it while following behind. My father took the car to the local Porsche dealer and had all the fuel lines replaced. He got the car back, but sometime later he noticed it was still leaking gasoline. After my dad passed away I found there was an old rubber hose that missed being replaced. This was one of like five hoses going to the fuel filter assembly. It looked like it must have been original to the car. I replaced that hose and it no longer leaks. I don't know if that old hose may have been leaking before and it may have led to the car acting anemic. Another thing that may have been causing the car to run weak is that it still retains the original metal fuel lines through the body (I believe).

I also noticed that some shift bushings may need to be replaced. The two that are pressed into the aluminum coupler were disintegrated so I replaced those. There still seems to be some slop in the linkage so I think the other bushings should be replaced. There is also play in the rear driver side wheel bearing. The windshield is also frosted around the perimeter. My dad wanted to save the 1969 world champion water transfer decal that was there. The body is pretty rough but it looks like there is no cancer yet.

This car has very low mileage. until recently it had the original tires on it

If I put a battery in it, the car starts and runs fine. I have not driven it recently though as the registration is expired.

Name:  IMG_0239.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  174.6 KBName:  IMG_0274.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  165.8 KBName:  IMG_0237.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  179.5 KBName:  IMG_0240.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  67.0 KBName:  IMG_0244.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  128.8 KBName:  IMG_0246.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  122.8 KBName:  IMG_0254.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  145.2 KBName:  IMG_0262.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  174.7 KBName:  IMG_0273.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  115.1 KBName:  IMG_0275.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  144.8 KB

Thanks for posting and good luck with your search for info.

VIN Reference 9110301591
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure where they went. My fathers username was vermilli

Banned
    How's the auction going?

This will make a great restoration candidate for someone. Best of luck.

Your father was on the Early S Registry should mean that you could look up any information?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 9er View Post
    Your father was on the Early S Registry should mean that you could look up any information?
    Chris,
    I'm not sure I understand how he could look up info simply because his father was on ESR. Not all of us post things about our personal cars.

Mr. Vermillion,
    I'm confident that you've had several offers on the car already. I'm also quite sure most have said it would be going to its forever home, blah, blah, blah. I'm tempted to publicly offer my opinion of value but without seeing it in person that's a bit imprudent.
    I would highly recommend that you have it transported to a shop where they can properly evaluate it mechanically and at least take care of the things that will maximize the selling price. While it's there and on a rack you can get better pics of the underside. If you're willing to represent it yourself you'll probably net the most dough... but with many, many headaches. If you pitch the car to a legit broker it may cost you 5-10% but it will save your head from hurting. Early 911 shoppers are a serious PITA to deal with. Jus sayin.

As far as value? If I were a betting man I would say it's worth more than the best offer you've received here.

Again, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermilli2 View Post
    . . . What can you tell me about this car? My father passed away and we are going to sell his 1970 911S he was a member on the early s registry for years. we are looking for info on where to offer it for sale. I don't know know how to get rid of this car and get a fair price for it.

The car was purchased in Italy when he was in the Navy in 1985
    . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by 9er View Post
    . . . Your father was on the Early S Registry should mean that you could look up any information? . . .
    Sure can! --- here's a post by 'Vermilli'' . . . from 2006 . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post309711

Not a lot there, but . . . hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    . . . not sure I understand how he could look up info simply because his father was on ESR. Not all of us post things about our personal cars . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Sure can! --- here's a post by 'Vermilli'' . . . from 2006 . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post309711

Not a lot there, but . . . hope this helps

And how does that help now?

His father imported the car 134 years ago.

Where's my popcorn. I agree with Frank, these are pretty rare cars, it looks like this particular one is going to need quite a bit to get it back up and perfect again, but that does not mean you need to give it away.

If you need any help, feel free to contact me early next week. I might be able to find a home for it. I sell early cars all the time, and I certainly agree that buyers of these particular cars can at times be trying.

Erik Johnson - Carquip (303) 443-1343 ext. 2

Thanks everyone. I more trying to establish an approximate value of this thing, or try find a good way to sell it. I can put it up on the lift where it is and I’ll get some pictures of the underside.