Thread: New life to an old '69T

New life to an old '69T

If this looks familiar... that's because it's a continuation to this thread: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...or-into-my-69T

This is my much loved, but rather tired, '69T
    Name:  IMAG0360.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  128.7 KB

This is her with my dog, Laika.
    Name:  IMAG0368.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  91.0 KB

This is her in the middle of the trip I made from Washington, D.C. to Everett, WA. (In Jan!)
    Name:  Porsche and Porsche road trip 216.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  104.1 KB

She has not had an easy life in my hands:
    Name:  FB_IMG_1484184421909.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  25.2 KB

Her poor engine has gotten rather worn out in the last few years. It was a used engine sold in pity for $1000, and it survived much longer than it had any right to. That old '70 2.2T engine with Zeniths took me all the way across the country in winter, was my daily driver for the two years I was stationed in Everett, WA (aboard USS NIMITZ), and was my daily driver for two years in Monterey, CA. I got my $1K out of that old motor! (and probably 40K miles!)

Sadly, her leaking is up, and compression is down. In spite of having a refreshed suspension and brakes, and being quite the comic relief at the PCA autocross, she's become too sick to drive. First I had an overrev because of a stuck accelerator that made noises so scary I couldn't find the courage to open the engine up and look for over a year. It turned out I had just lost an intake valve adjustment nut, and a valve adjustment brought her back to running, but then her MSD went haywire and literally blew up two (resistorless) rotors in quick succession. I'm pretty sure the haywire MSD also ruined my coil, but it took me a long time to notice. At that point I wired around the MSD and drove her rarely for the next two years... During that time her cam seals started leaking - a lot - and I could no longer ignore other, more subtle, scary engine noises - like obvious piston slap. A warm compression test yielded about 90 PSI per cylinder. I didn't bother with leakdown. Clearly this poor old engine had heroically come to the end of her long road. I wish I could afford to give her a viking funeral or something.
    She looks okay in the engine bay even now:
    Name:  IMG_20181206_150114.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  95.2 KB

While stuck on USS IWO JIMA, operating off the coast of Norway, in one of the rare moments of good internet, I came across a 2.4E engine, in good health, for sale at a price I could afford. My ex-wife would have vetoed any such notion instantly, but my new girlfriend actually encouraged me to buy it! (I think she's a keeper! - the engine will be my xmas present, but she's getting a well deserved ring!)
    I get an engine, she gets this:
    Name:  Ring.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  43.7 KB

Fast forward to today:
    Name:  IMG_20181206_150412.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  111.8 KB

That beautiful thing in the foreground is a relatively healthy 2.4E longblock.

I have to start the process of moving important stuff around. My poor old sick engine got all the reliability upgrades, like SSI heat exchangers, Carrera tensioners, the oil line restrictors (to the cam towers), a 75amp alternator, and 3.0 aluminum reinforced upper and lower valve covers. I need to get the old motor out of the car and start transplanting all the goodies. That's going to be the work of next week's evenings. I also have a full gasket set, fresh tubing, a new MSD, and a 123ignition distributor. I'm hoping to have the 2.4 ready to install by the 15th.

I love how small this is compared to my old, failed, 6AL:
    Name:  IMG_20181206_150146.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  86.1 KB

I'm thrilled to explore what the fully programmable 123ignition distributor can do:
    Name:  IMG_20181206_150242.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  75.9 KB

Things I'm super thankful for:
    1: The 2.4E came with an old style flywheel! Should mate right up to my 901 transaxle.
    2. The engine was delivered with MFI plugs! I was wondering what I was going to do...
    3. I have the best girlfriend ever who supports this kind of foolishness!

Things that are a bummer:
    1: The Zeniths I have used to be on a 2.4, judging by the 4, 32mm vents I can find. I guess I'm going to have to find a machinist.
    2: I now have 4 distributors: a 2.2E, a 2.4E, a small diameter 123, and a large diameter 123. I hope I can turn some of these back into money.
    3. I have the desire to spend money on an MFI rig. I may as well jump down the slippery slope while naked after bathing in KY. (luckily, I don't actually have the funds to support such an endeavour.)
    4. I'm going to have to do something with my old 2.2. It really needs retirement, but damn if it doesn't still run pretty well. Hurts my heart to think of it ending up in a pile of never to be used parts.

Sunday I'm hoping to pull the engine and transmission. If you happen to be local to Jacksonville, FL, I'd love the help and company! I'll provide the beer!

If the engine is still installed, the heroic last ride of the 2.2 is going to be the drive to the PCA Florida Crown Region Christmas party next Tuesday. If you see me there, please say hi!

An old school enthusiast,,,, And be sure you check for full throttle,,,,be surprised how many don't have it!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

+1 on Ed Mayo's comment. Not many DIY guys around these days. Wish I was in FL to share the beer and fun. GL w swap. And keep the GF a GF
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"