Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting back to 356’s over 911’s...

Getting back to 356’s over 911’s...

I started my classic Porsche phase with 356’s: almost all A’s, both roadsters and coupe, finally settling on a few great examples. They were my first love. Then I added a 67s which I loved driving, along with other long hoods.

I’m now back to spending more seat time in 356’s especially a ‘59 all original coupe. There’s just something about the look and driving of a 356 thst is so involving. And of course the only true open car.

I assume on this forum most prefer the 911? (And I love the 67 S but by the time I get to ‘73 they feel too modern)

Does anyone else here prefer 356s? Or like them equally?

equally for me. Engine howl in an early 911 has few comparisons but for me, the 356 gives me a similar feeling. The open air feeling in a SWT is pretty close to a D or roadster or a 356 cab.

~J~
    air cooled only

I started with an early 911 and have gone through several 911s and 912s. Other than thinking notchbacks were kinda handsome (pause here for collective gasp), I never gave a 356 much thought until about a year ago, when I had the chance to drive a very well-sorted C-coupe. I was shocked at how nicely it drove, and the feel of the car was, well, like an old shoe. That started a casual search for a notch, but a nice B-cab popped up recently with my name on it. I love it, and the hardtop still offers that notch look.

Now my shop runneth over. Stay tuned for at least a couple 9-series cars for sale.

I like them equally but I am done with them. In stock unmodified form that is. I have had many since my first in 1964. I could own another speedster but it would have to be my version of souped up. For me my 67S offers enough 356 DNA to scratch that itch. I like my 73 as well but for different reasons. I have been fortunate to have had so many and have enjoyed the characteristics and experience of each one. I'm actually looking for a newer 911 but haven't found the right one. I once owned a GT speedster but the ultimate would be a T5B GT. I once had the pole position on a stone grey 59 GT coupe with an RS 60 engine. I would have had to trade two speedsters for it and backed out. And on and on.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Steve-
    I went through a hopped up stsge where I had polo motors and 901 gear boxes in a speedster and a coupe but went back to well sorted stock. While the hopped up ones were beautifully built and wonderful to drive, I wanted the 1950’s experience; to be back in the period.

Rower I agree with you on the stock feel as opposed to modified. I think what I meant to say is that I like the speed of the sixes. And that old S really does have a 356ish feel to me. Also if I did have another speedster I would put the original engine up and install a well done C engine and some suspension upgrades, nothing too out there. I like the torque of a C in a light speedster. Good clean fun.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    Rower I agree with you on the stock feel as opposed to modified. I think what I meant to say is that I like the speed of the sixes. And that old S really does have a 356ish feel to me. Also if I did have another speedster I would put the original engine up and install a well done C engine and some suspension upgrades, nothing too out there. I like the torque of a C in a light speedster. Good clean fun.
    I do the big bore kits so I agree!

And I really like the 67S feel too...
    Interestingly on a 356 group drive last month through tight twisty and often rough roads, the 356 suspension was so compliant I felt it was better suited than a later 911 for the road. I do however prefer my sport seats in the S!

And the 911 is so much tighter and focused . I suppose it just depends what mood I am in.

There’s also something really happy about the 356 shape.

Anyway, I love both but if I had to pick only one it would be the 356.

Our 65 SC will always put a smile on my face, but the one thing the 69 S has is that glorious sound that the 356 will never have. That alone will always put the 911 as my number one.
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

I have the three cars listed below....but I enjoy the 914 the most...I like the layout, the extra trunks, the seating, the low-ness, the center gauge thingy, the non-cushy seat, the outside shape, the pop up lights, the feeling of a beach car and a go cart, the crazy roof and storage. I like the that whole car inside and out was designed with a yard-stick, and seems like they started with a 2x4 and just shaped it on a disk sander. (by profession, I am a vehicle designer). It is so unique in the car world. I have often wondered how it got past the opinions of executives, designers and sales force and was actually produced, it was so weird. (When I did design work for Porsche Stuttgart, I was told that the race cars are not styled, -just a few were-, and the 914 just fits that idea, that it was never styled, it was just based on their mid engine race cars. purpose built).

I do like the other cars immensely.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

I'm on that boat too at the moment... Probably more rose-tinted glasses than actual desire... I miss my A (for looks) and C (for handling). But at current prices, the ratio of fun/price/repair costs is even stupider on the 356 than it is on the early 911, so I don't think that'll happen for me unless I can do a swap... I even used 356 classifieds offering that, got interesting answers but none practical...

At the end of the day unless you can have both, I see myself regretting the early 911 i'd sell even more than the 356 I'd gain. Maybe? All the oldies I love are $100K+ now anyway, game over for me, best keep what I have. And If I'm truthful, I drive the bimmer most of the time because it's so much cheaper I can beat the crap out of it without a second thought...
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002