Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting back to 356’s over 911’s...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    I have the three cars listed below....but I enjoy the 914 the most...I like the layout, the extra trunks, the seating, the low-ness, the center gauge thingy, the non-cushy seat, the outside shape, the pop up lights, the feeling of a beach car and a go cart, the crazy roof and storage. I like the that whole car inside and out was designed with a yard-stick, and seems like they started with a 2x4 and just shaped it on a disk sander. (by profession, I am a vehicle designer). It is so unique in the car world. I have often wondered how it got past the opinions of executives, designers and sales force and was actually produced, it was so weird. (When I did design work for Porsche Stuttgart, I was told that the race cars are not styled, -just a few were-, and the 914 just fits that idea, that it was never styled, it was just based on their mid engine race cars. purpose built).

I do like the other cars immensely.
    I think the 914 design is perfect. I love the Bahaus lines. I sold my 914-6 as the driving position and comfort didn’t fit me as well as either a 356 or 911, and the shifting wasn’t as crisp. I can see all your points though.

I feel fortunate that I don't have to ultimately choose, just choose what to move out of the garage. The big question everyone has to ask is what do you prefer, driving a fast car slow, or a slow car fast?

When it comes to driving it depends on what I'm doing.

Autocross, the 914 is as fun as it gets.
    Long drives or trip, the 993.
    Cruising through the Hudson Valley on an a Sunday morning, the 356.

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

356s were made for 16 years. Driving a early example, which I did for 35 years all over the country, is much different than driving a late example. Visibilty, ease of shifting, power are what comes to mind with a late example. The 55 DIN hp 55 I drove was underpowered in the mountains. Installing a S90 engine fixed that. But, the 55 is really like driving a 40s vintage car. Need to be on your toes at all times. I drove. 63 S90 for 1 month before my foot went thru the floor. Bought it for the engine. Anyway, it had better visibilty and a litlle more modern convieniences like better wipers, shifting, external fuel filler.

I parted with the 55 4 years ago for a 69 912. Much easier to drive. Great visibilty, even more modern convieniences, 12v and can actually get lots of parts at flaps. At my age I think this was a good move, as we like the longer trips.

Still working on the 63 S90 and on my bucket list to at least drive it one more time.

I drove a 1986 911 and it was not for me.

If you think a 911 is tighter and more focused try a drive in a pre-A 356 and do pay attention, they respond quickly. Skinny tires add to the experience. My street-track 911 is almost done but my current fun car is an Alfa 4C, new Porsches are too heavy.

I hope to get to experience the differences soon. I have been working on my 57 A for a while and it will be very interesting the differences between the A the 73S and the RSR tribute. Wide range for sure.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

356 vs 911

I owned a 356B Roadster for ~13 years. Huge fun

Mine was a driver. A bit ratty to look at but all the mechanicals were good-to-go. I can't comment on the closed cars --- but, for me? . . . an open 356 is a real joy. Not only was the car light + lively on the road, but the whole experience of hearing the engine mumbling + tires pitter-pattering while all the sights + smells + scenery swirled around = very special. Car had no temperament, was easy to use and maintain, mechanically completely understandable + accessible, durable, economical --- just a wonderful little buggy to drive and use anytime, over any distance

Performance was decent-enough. I'd swapped-in a Super 90, so it had some poke --- + the brakes were fantastic . . . but it wasn't exactly what I would call 'fast.' Still, I didn't want the car to be something it wasn't. I did mount a set of GT wheels w/165 Michelins --- which might sound ridiculous . . . but the handling was hilarious. I could have more fun at 40 MpH than other cars traveling twice as fast

And the car was magnetic --- especially to kids . . . more-so for being a bit scruffy

But . . .

. . . driving on busy roads + freeways full of >5000lb GVW Sport-Utes was no fun. Took the car to work for a while but seeing a world of bumpers and hub-caps --- all at eye-level . . . gave pause. And rush-hour traffic, coming down the 405 on a Friday? . . . = nuts. When I was single, I'd pack an over-night bag and take off for San Francisco, stay w/My Sis, then spend a week-end playing tourist. Going through tunnels and over bridges, Sausilito + Napa, even just motoring down-town were fantastic. After I was married, the Roadster was still a great week-end car . . . groceries, errands, taking the kids to their Dad/dog to the vet, beach drives. But The X never drove it --- or wanted to . . .

. . . and then it just became a toy that only I played with

By the time we moved to our last house together . . . I was ready to let go

For a long while I didn't miss the car. To me --- 356s are really exquisite little devices . . . to look at + work on + use. Simple, lovely, not scary or temperamental. But these 're not really suited for the traffic where I live

And I only have so much garage space. So --- if I'm not driving it? . . .

The 911, on the other hand, even though it's a closed car, has a lot of the liveliness and directness of the 356 . . . but with a LOT more performance

There's that same sense of occasion + theater getting in to one --- the touch + feel are all high-quality . . . the way the door pulls/shuts, the 5 gauges facing, the shifter + controls + side glass + windshield = all 'right there' . . . intimate. A 911 wraps around me, a lot like a 356 . . . but as soon as the engine fires? . . .

. . . less burble --- more bark. Instead of a gentle throb, the 911 motor feels busy, nervous --- expensive . . . with its special whir/fizz/moan/whine. Mine is so weedy starting-out --- responding only barely to any throttle . . . until ~3000 RpM when some torque finally shows up. My 356 was happy to trot along at 2500 - 4000, all day long . . . but this 911 is just waking up at those engine speeds

Which brings up the One Big Difference . . .

. . . = speed

While a 356 is relaxing + sweet to drive --- a 911 is WAY more involving

The gear-change, engine response, size, and comportment are all dialed WAY up in a 911. While a 356 might seem idiosyncratic, it's still comfortable to use, with a pace and directness that anyone can access and enjoy. A 911 is different --- especially an S. The gear-change requires more attention, as does the engine. The car is also unnervingly small, and so can feel a bit overwhelmed by traffic, but, once up to speed, accelerates smartly --- and will readily exceed 140 MpH . . . with a commensurate amount of attention/concentration required

For me, driving a 356 was relaxing, enjoyable, time well-spent on any road

But my 911? --- even after 10 years? . . .

. . . exhausting, a little terrifying --- but always thrilling . . . never mind where

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by LongRanger; 12-09-2018 at 07:30 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Ive got a 64 356, a 71 911T and 07 GT3 and the car I keep going back to is the 64. Once I got the motor sorted, which was a long process... it has become a really fun slow car to drive moderately fast. I need to move one out of the garage and it will likely be the GT3 - as much fun as it is, the air-cooled car with fewer luxuries and less HP are just more fun. Today my vote is for the 356 - but if I drive the 911 tomorrow, and hear that engine, my opinion may change. Wish we could have 'em all - each model seems to have something really special about it - 964, 911SC, Carrera, 993...I doubt I would part with the 356 unless I could switch to an A coupe. Anyone want to trade? haha

good point above.

i grew up with P cars. All my life we had at least one 356 around and dad's Porsche demo cars, he brought home a different P car pretty much every night.

From personal experience:

Pre A = scary, brakes, tires, suspension, steering, power, shifting. But it looks fantastic.
    A = a little less scary, feels planted when you get out of the pre A. Brakes are fine
    B t6 - better view, 741 trans = better shifting, better steering. not as pleasing to the eye as an A, but that is personal.
    C/ SC = best driving 356 all around. Looks are ok , disc brakes
    SWB 911 - back to being a little scary IN STOCK form. i feel safer driving my A coupe through sharp turns. It does not feel like my rear end wants to pass me.
    LWB 911 - planted again.

I'm with Adam on the 993. best air cooled 911 ever made. C2S is high on my wish list.

~J~
    air cooled only

I started in 2009 with a 997 GT3RS.

I have worked my way backwards going to 993, 964, 1979 SC and then 1969 911, 1967 911S and now i am building a 1959 A coupe and a 1955 pre A speedster.

The speedster is something i have really been looking forward to!

That being said i am still hunting long hood 911 porsches.
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

All this positive talk about how nice the 356’s are to drive is nice to read. I was really worried that in the end after all the hard work I had put into my A that I wouldn’t like it compared to the 911’s. The beautiful A body has been a car I have lusted at for many years. Like Adam said, I feel very fortunate to have choices and the A sounds like it will be a very nice addition and slot right in to the fleet well.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"