Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum's imput requested - possible 2.0T purchase

Forum's imput requested - possible 2.0T purchase /passed to the next: 2.2T

See page 2 for the next candidate.

I am about to visit this car:

http://www.autoscout24.ch/fr/d/porsc...10&yearto=1975

I am asking for your collective imput/opinion. Originally white w/ black interior. USA car. Seems rather rust free, but only an in person inspection will tell.

Anything that jumps out from the pictures in the link?

VIN 119 122 9XX
    Engine 619XXX
    Last edited by GeorgeK; 07-26-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Hmmm.......looks like it's time for a garage expansion.

Well from what we can see it looks very tidy, but lots we can't see in the photos. Does it have it's original engine George? Of course the color combination is very nice (except the stripes, those don't seem to go with the car very well). I will be interested to hear about this one after the inspection.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Great colour combo as it is!

The only thing I can see is that it has a 5-bar rear grill rather than the late 68-69 only 3-bar grill.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Hi Brian, Hi John,
    Engine matching as far as I know, I'll have to check. Stripes are adhesive, first thing that would go, along with the dash timers.
    I was wondering about the grille, thanks for confirming.

Shouldn't the wiper arms be black?
    What headlights should it have in Europe? H4 are on now.

Brian, No expansion. I'd sell my cabrio to get into this one. Spent long enough without an early car, the itch is becoming unbearable.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
    Hi Brian, Hi John,
    Engine matching as far as I know, I'll have to check. Stripes are adhesive, first thing that would go, along with the dash timers.
    I was wondering about the grille, thanks for confirming.

Shouldn't the wiper arms be black?
    What headlights should it have in Europe? H4 are on now.

Brian, No expansion. I'd sell my cabrio to get into this one. Spent long enough without an early car, the itch is becoming unbearable.
    Accordng to Brett Johnson's The 911 & 912 Porsche, A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity (1998 edition, which just arrived because my original 1988 edition is falling apart, but the printing quality of the new one is terrible), Porsche went to black wipers in 1968. You can buy decent black wipers from Sierra Madre Collection and other sources.

It would not originally have had H4 headlights. The H4 bulb was introduced in 1971 and Porsche started using them in 1972.

The rare and expensive dual-bulb H1 headlights (901.631.101.33) were introduced on the 911S early in the 1968 model year. If I read PET correctly, they were standard on all (non-USA) 911s in 1969. You might try http://www.audettecollection.com/, but they are rare and expensive.

It looks like non-USA 1969 912s still had the old non-sealed beam headlights that took the 45/40 watt P45t tungsten bulb. Those units (901.631.101.00) are available and you can get H4 bulbs for them now.

Of all the headlights reasonably available today, the H4 units probably look the most like the H1 units.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 07-18-2015 at 12:19 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Update:
    I will visit the seller and look at the car on saturday. I hope we reach a satisfactory agreement. I'll update as it goes.

Hi George,

Good idea to move the Cabrio on to make room. I'll be anxious to hear if this one checks out and matches the description. Will be good to see you driving an early 911.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Back at it.
    I visited the car today, a 320 mile round trip, that went very well (in the '84 Cab that the seller checked over for a possible partial trade).

The '69 has been restored in 2010, with a bare metal respray in slate grey. The engine is correct, likely numbers matching. It looks very nice for a 5 year-old resto, but some détails popped up, that will need the collective knowledge and input:

1- There are rust bubbles popping up at the door sill/ lock plate junction, bigger on the left side. This is a must repair, but I wonder how bad it can be, having had 5 years after resto to come up. I have my idea but would want to hear the opinions here. See pics 1 and 2

2- The bottom of the left door has a line of bubbles that go through to the inside, meaning the door frame is rusted too. It is repairable, but needs a comprehensive door skin cut, frame repair and butt welded patch. Am I better off swapping a known good door I have hanging on the wall, but from a 964 (RS, without impact beam)? See pic 3

3- The ignition switch has an on position, but starting the car is via a push button switch that is next to the ign switch, and looks suspisciously like a vintage Bosch or Hella push switch. That can not be a factory setup? Is the ign switch a hard to get part, should I need to replace it?

3- Seatbelts are the fixed type that you adjust to length, without reels. Correct? If yes, I will definitely retrofit inertia reels, originality be damned. I want to live.

4- No rear belts. Should there be threaded holes for them? I want to bring my kid along too.

5- Steelies are 6X15, look great, but not correct width?

Otherwise the floor pan, longitudinals, tank support, front suspension pan are all sound and solid. There does not seem to be any significant bondo, according to my magnet, and to the visible thickness of panels.
    There are a few other incorrect détails, that I don't mind and can correct myself. Batteries were flat, could not start the car, but seller says it will start before I commit.

The seller is straightforward, did not minimise the rust bubbles, and we *seem* to verge towards a deal that wold include a trade of cars plus 10K from me to him. My '84 cab is mechanically almost all new, a real gem of a car.

So, please shoot. Don't put kid gloves on, I can take it. I have an opinion, and want some dissenting, or encouraging voices.

Thanks to all.

After the resto, its seems the owner just used the car intense. Probably used it for winter rally's in Europe, hence the rust.
    Unless you' ll do the same with the car, why dont you stay patient until a better T pops up ?
    (or check the yellow 2.2T currently from a dealer in Etoy, just to compare.).

IMHO your prospective car is too expensive for what it is. Signs of rust (> Winter use/salt…just by summer rain it does not rust as quickly..), no original colour respray, mixed-up interior, wrong grill, wrong belts, switch, maybe wrong wheels. No wonder its for sale since over 9 months…Ive seen it advertised sînce fall 2014.

Its better to pay more for a better car then less but being busy with rust repairs and an expensive respray…

Your 84' convertible will always be a trade-in value. No wonder the salesman is happy to trade: its a good deal for him.
    He however did not even made the car to be ready to start for you (battery): IMHO I would not buy this 2.0T.

BTW, yes it usually has drilled holes for rear seat belts.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 07-26-2015 at 03:43 AM.
    Registry member No.773

To fix the door, you have to cut the rust out and weld a new panel in. On the door sill, any rust there means at least a outer sill replacement and maybe new jacking plates. Now you have to paint the car again. Although the Slate Grey color looks a little too light in color. Good luck Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue