Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for original engine number

Well he was "the" independent Porsche Shop in Zürich.

Quote Originally Posted by uai View Post
    Well he was "the" independent Porsche Shop in Zürich.
    He was actually a wealthy industrialist, friend of Enzo, and his company still exists. Perhaps they also owned a shop but it wouldn’t be typical. Perhaps a different Dwaetyler than Willy Peter D?? He raced Alfa’s, Ferrari’s and Maseratis, never a Porsche to my knowledge.

I am not sure whether the car was first registered in Germany and then brought to Switzerland or directly sold from Hahn to Switzerland (but I guess that's not very likely).
    Anyway I will try to get in touch with the Straßenverkehrsamt Kanton Zürich (Department Of Traffic) and eventually they will contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    is there any chance that it was registered in Switzerland before the engine swap and there may be a registration record there showing its engine number. Maybe a Swiss member can comment on that. Given it was not imported there new I suspect the normal very informative AMAG records there wont apply

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    He was actually a wealthy industrialist, friend of Enzo, and his company still exists. Perhaps they also owned a shop but it wouldn’t be typical. Perhaps a different Dwaetyler than Willy Peter D?? He raced Alfa’s, Ferrari’s and Maseratis, never a Porsche to my knowledge.
    Sorry my wrong Otto Dätwyler was the Porsche Shop in Zürich... not willy so wrong link

Sorry my wrong Otto Dätwyler was the Porsche Shop in Zürich... not willy so wrong link
    Did/does Otto have a son named Chris?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I mentioned that name to the previous owner. Maybe...

I didn't want to let this thread die without telling you about my latest efforts to find "my" engine.
    As I already expected the chance of finding it diminishes at each attempt I take.

a) The name of the independent Porsche shop in Zürich is lost in time - the former owner can't remember the name.
    b) Porsche (or at leasts the contacts I have to Porsche) won't let me know the correct engine number.
    c) Porsche Hahn in Fellbach deletes their records after 10 years.
    d) I also contacted the Kanton Zürich Straßenverkehrsamt (traffic licensing department) that told me that they don't keep records longer than 10 years - but they hand them on to a different part of the administration the Bundesamt für Strassen.

I had the chance to talk to a very friendly woman at this office and she really took the time to have a look at their old records of my Porsche - amazing!! Sadly she could only tell me about the number of previous owners (2) and when the car came to Switzerland (1974). But they don't keep records when an engine is swapped for a new one.

So here I am stranded in a blind alley.
    I guess the only thing I could do is to contact all the independent shops in Zürich that were there in the 80ies and are still existing.
    Do you know of any?
    Or does one of you have any other ideas??

Thank you very much!