Thread: Porsche technical Specifications booklet “first English edition”

Porsche technical Specifications booklet “first English edition”

Hi Guys. Anyone have any insight as to whether or not this is anything interesting based on date, etc. I did get it from a guy who told me he worked on the first 67S imported to the country. It was raced/owned by one of the Smothers Brothers and he was a mechanic at the Monterey Porsche Dealership, Webster Porsche that maintained the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by CarmelSkip; 01-31-2019 at 04:25 PM.

As far as I know, there was only one edition of this spec book. Markings on the back cover indicate 1000 pcs were printed Sept 1978. see photo anyone have a later edition/printing?

mine has the same details at the front as in the photo but on the back it is 4302.20 2M VIII/69 printed in W-Germany so 10 years or so earlier than yours and I suspect as this was a December 67 cut off on information there may have been one earlier than mine
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Here is one with a '68' printing date:
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

So it looks like that, from these, somewhere between October 1968 (Tim's) and August 1969 (mine) the format for the printing numbers changed from the W 392 format to the 4203.20 (and variations due to language) format not only for these and maintenance books as seen in another thread, but perhaps for all of the Porsche literature associated with the cars (maintenance books changed from W3921 and W33 to 4304.20 and similar numbers)
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Hi Hugh

I believe that is correct. I have seen it referenced in a memo or other note but can't recall where I saw it or lay my hands on it. I don't know about the particular book but have several 72/3 equivalent technical books. If I recall correctly they all refer to the same cutoff but different print dates. One is a first edition but others later.

The code changed again circa 1980 to get a WET prefix and afaik the same six digit code except the .(dot) was dropped.

Languages in last two digits are:
    10 all German lanhpguage markets
    11 German language but inside Germany only
    12?
    13?
    14 multiple languages for worldwide use German, English, French Italian
    15-19?
    20 English rests of world markets Great Britain, Australia, another Africa, New Zealand, Hong Kong etc
    21 only for North American market
    22-29?
    30 French language markets
    31-39?
    40 Italian language markets

Regarding the first two digits of the four digit prefix in the system used from late sixties through 1980:
    Marketing an sales department material was 10
    Maintenance books 43
    Service training information 45
    Owner books 46
    Internal use paperwork 42

Not sure how this works in earlier coding system referred to above.

(Moderators: Maybe this post belongs as a new thread elsewhere as it is a more generic reply than OP booklet question. I'm happy to start a new thread on decoding literature. There are folks who collect literature (which I don't) so probably know more, so this starting point could be added to if knowledge of literature codes is of interest?)