Thread: Powder coating engine sheet metal, etc. What color black do I want?

Powder coating engine sheet metal, etc. What color black do I want?

Hi everyone. I'm getting ready to have various engine bay bits powder coated. except for the upper valve covers (replacing magnesium ones with the aluminum turbo ones), I want to go black for everything. What level of gloss best approximates factory coating? 60% gloss? Less?

For the upper valve covers, I think I'd want to go with something less glossy black so that it approximates the original magnesium. I recall a post from Chuck Miller a while back where he did this (and filed off and polished the "P" "O" "R" "S" "C" "H" "E") and it looked cool, but I can't find that post right now.

Any thoughts?
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 6.17.50 PM.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  63.4 KB
    Brad

'73.5 911T Targa (Kaptain Karmel)
    Early S Registry #2585

My recollection is that 60% was an excellent match for the engine tin. I did it in two batches so I could compare. I remember it was 10% off of the general suggestions, but my powder coated insisted he was right and I vert reluctant agreed. He was right. Now, are all 60%’s the same - don’t know.
    I’ll dig further in my records to verify if needed.
    Regards,
    Bill
    Bill
    1969 911T - sold
    2001 911 Turbo - sold
    1996 911 C4S - returned
    1982 911SC - gone
    1960 356 Roadster - sold

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    We used 50%, I think your good.

The powder coater will bead blast your parts with either glass or (better) a silicon carbide medium to give them the "tooth" for good adherence of the coating. Remember that any aluminum pieces that are blasted will retain embedded particles of media which will happily come loose when your engine gets hot and the surface is bathed by hot oil, or both. I notice, for example, your valve covers.

Yep, I’m aware, thanks. I’m having the undersides of the valve covers masked off as well as the insides of the sump plate and bolt. Everything else — both sides.
    Brad

Early S Registry #2585

Thanks all. The 60% gloss black came out looking really nice.Name:  IMG_0778.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  114.2 KB
    Brad

Early S Registry #2585