Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gauging interest: Original style front and rear lid struts

Gauging interest: Original style front and rear lid struts

I am slowly moving towards the assembly stages on my SWB car and evaluating the quality and authenticity of some of the reproduction parts out there.

One of the visible parts which I am not happy with is the current hood struts. They differ substantially from the original ones, both in the arms (black vs. chrome plated) as well as the eyelets. The decals for the hood struts have already been made by Manuel based on original decals provided by me. This is one step up but even with the sticker the modern struts still look out of place.

Long story short, I am contemplating have some good reproductions made of the struts and would like to see if there is a demand for these out there.

JK

Joris

My hood is held up by a stick. I don’t think I’m part of your target demographic.

Ciao

Jim

Maybe I should just do that Jim. Say hi to Linda from me and the girls. Talk soon. J.

I would say yes but I'm sure people would want the date code custom to their car manufacture date or close too it. That might make it tough.
    72S, 72T now ST

i would be interested; thanks for reaching out!!!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Hi Joris,

Sounds like a good idea but .... as one of those guys who doesn’t like propping my hood up with a pole, stick or even golf club shaft (it has to be a “driver”!) - I replace my struts almost every 3-4 years. No, the current ones don’t have much longevity, but at $13 for a repro that isn’t really that visible - I just put it down to necessary maintenance. And smile every time someone comments - “OMG, a hood that actually stays up!!!!”
    I guess it all depends on how much owners are prepared to pay, because it has to be financially viable for you to manufacture them.

That said, I appreciate anyone who is prepared to make our cars a little more authentic by making better parts for them.

Cheers
    Gary
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    i would be interested ...
    +1........
    Member #2683

Thanks for the encouragement. I am getting some quotes and will report back. The dated sticker will indeed be a bit of a challenge but I believe that so far Manuel already has made several versions so while not accurate to the month you should be able to get something close

Sorry, but didn't stabilus print the date?