Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambition Fulfilled - my 1972 911T coupe

Waiting for a bit warmer weather before tackling the headliner. So installing lots of stuff that does not require glue.

Name:  IMG_2090.jpg
Views: 1667
Size:  82.5 KB
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

I've been stalling on getting to the headliner install. But I've just about screwed up the courage to tackle it.

While waiting on my courage, I've been working through other things. The wiper mechanism is completely installed, and the swap so they park on the right side is complete. I already have new wiper arms for the right-side parking. The dome lights also now both work, after new switches and repair of rodent-damaged wires. And the screen washers work, with new nozzles, hoses and a new pump. Now if I only had a windscreen!

Other miscellaneous trim going on slowly as well. My first goal is to have it assembled enough to drive it on the first local PCA drive of the season in late March. If I get the headliner in in the next 2-3 weeks I should be OK on that score.

But in the meanwhile, I just enjoy the time I spend in the garage with it. Still not quite used to seeing that sleek, rounded nose sitting in my garage. After 7 years of an impact-bumper car sitting in that spot this is still a bit unreal to me.

Name:  IMG_2091.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  91.8 KB
    - Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Can you disclose the cost, and who did the paint?

Quote Originally Posted by zundfolge View Post
    Can you disclose the cost, and who did the paint?
    I am generally reluctant to get too detailed on this kind of info, for several reasons. For one, anything I put here is then public forever, and the cost today will not mean much in 5 years or beyond. Another big reason is that every job is different, and the work required to do my car at this particular shop may not have much in common with other cars or other shops.

That said, I don't want to treat it as classified info, either.

Caveats. My car is a relatively common LWB T coupe. Not a particularly rare car in the early 911 world. I intend to drive it, so absolute perfection in body and paint was not required, especially since I am on a limited budget. It will get rock chips and such in the future, so no reason to pay for concours work. But the work still needs to be of very good quality and durability. And there is always the possibility that my job was under-quoted and the shop lost money on it. So bear all that in mind as you compare cost.

The work was done at Simon's Auto Body & Paint in Springfield, OR. Shop owner (also painter and head metal worker) is Kevin. As you can see from the pictures earlier in this thread, I removed all the interior, trim and such; also am refitting the same. Kevin stripped the old paint, did metal work as needed, and then painted it. Not much in the way of disassembly/reassembly. Total cost for the base body, metal and paint work was ~$9k.

At this point, I consider that the cost of the job was reasonable for what I got. I'm satisfied with the overall quality. The car is not perfect, if you know where to look you will find a few flaws. And Kevin knows of most of them, and wants to take care of them as time permits. But in general, it looks really nice, at least as good as I had hoped.

Name:  IMG_2095.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  85.9 KB
    Last edited by Arne; 02-26-2020 at 05:15 PM.
    - Arne

Thanks - that sounds like a very good price

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    I've been stalling on getting to the headliner install. But I've just about screwed up the courage to tackle it.
    And I am tackling it, slowly. I'm pleased so far, I think it's going to be OK.

Name:  IMG_2104.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  57.0 KB
    - Arne

Great build, new to the forum and it is great to see this caliber of build. Love it.

Headliner and A- and B-pillar vinyl is complete. Might not be perfect, but it is at least as good as the factory headliner that was in my '84 Carrera, so I'm happy. Camera flash makes it look worse in picture than it does in real life.

Glass installer scheduled for middle of next week.

Dash pad is in, as well as gauges. Now that I'm done under the dash, I'll wrap up the vent system and the trunk tomorrow. Then will probably have my fresh, re-anodized Fuchs mounted. Probably be drivable (but without much interior) late next week.

Name:  IMG_2122.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2121.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  58.4 KB
    Last edited by Arne; 03-17-2020 at 07:33 AM.
    - Arne

Haven't started on swapping the Fuchs yet, maybe later today. Instead spent time on the door latch linkages and disassembling the quarter windows to replace the rubber. Very pleased that I only had to cut the head off of one of the 20 little screws that hold the window frame corners together, and the threaded piece that was left came right out.

As I noted in a different thread, I also installed a new set of repro H1 headlights I got from Eric at Auto Foreign Services. Really nice!

- Arne

Arne, I'm so pleased to see this old girl getting a new lease on life. Nice work!
    DG