Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambition Fulfilled - my 1972 911T coupe

Continuing to learn more as I go. I knew that the engine was fresh, along with the clutch and transmission synchros, but the previous owner got a lot more than that done in back. Trailing arm and spring plate bushings look new, fresh KYB shocks (not my favorites), everything cleaned and painted. Plus new rear wheel bearings and new brakes in the rear (everything other than pads). Only thing not done in back is to refurb and install the rear sway bar. I've got all the remaining brake and sway bar parts on their way now, might have working brakes by the end of the weekend.

Tires are a fresh set of Sumitomo "performance all season" 195/65HR15, date codes are all late 2018. Like the shocks, not what I will want long term, but fine for the time being.

Car definitely has a charging issue, the light never goes out. I've found a couple of disconnected wires on the right side of the transmission, haven't determined what they are yet, but don't think they are related to the charging problem. Will probably pull the alternator for testing next week. I installed a pair of Miata AGM batteries in the front boxes today.

Heat exchangers are probably not original to the car. If they are original, the secondary exchanger for the warm air intake on the left HE has been removed. Plus they they are pretty pitted and ratty looking, other than a recent coat of the pale gray paint. So a pair of SSIs is in my future. Not right away, though.

Tomorrow I'm going to pull the fuel pump and see if I can replace the o-rings. Fuel leak appears to be the big o-ring where the motor case slides onto the pump body.

Lastly, most of the lights are not currently working, many are simply not connected. I'll need to work through that light by light. While most of the car is not particularly pretty now, I already replaced the US sugar scoops with the pair of Bosch H4 lights I saved from the '84.
    Last edited by Arne; 03-08-2019 at 07:03 PM.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Hi Arne,
    I don't get on here too often. Logged in and tracked down your thread today. Car looks good with the H4s. Never could stand the US spec headlights. Good luck with the project. I will enjoy following along and seeing the ugly duckling become a silver swan.

Quote Originally Posted by DG58INNM View Post
    Hi Arne,
    I don't get on here too often. Logged in and tracked down your thread today. Car looks good with the H4s. Never could stand the US spec headlights. Good luck with the project. I will enjoy following along and seeing the ugly duckling become a silver swan.
    Hi, David. I meant to send you a link, but didn't get around to it. Glad you found it.

Things have been going well so far. The fuel pump leak was the larger o-ring that seals the motor case to the pump body. I appear to have that fixed now. The first batch of parts have shown up, and things have started coming together. The front trunk lid now self-supports, and I've been working through all the brakes - new pads, hoses, hardware, rotors, wheel bearings and master cylinder. That should all be complete later tomorrow. I have acquired some nice Repa seat belt receivers as well. (Thanks, Scott!)

Still to come soon, reinstall the rear sway bar and making all the lights work.
    Last edited by Arne; 03-12-2019 at 06:37 PM.
    - Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

New delay today. I thought I was ready to bleed out the brakes, but found that at least one of the two reservoir supply tubes is cracked. The other feels rather brittle as well, so I ordered up both lines plus a new reservoir to be safe. Sunset had 2 of the 3 parts on the shelf, but one had to be special ordered, so I'm a week or more away from finishing that.

Since the brakes stalled out, I moved on to the lights. I now have all the exterior lights working except the license and backup lights. It looks like the 2 disconnected wires I saw on the right side of the transmission are the backup light wires, so that shouldn't be hard to fix. I also upgraded the brake lights to the big 48-LED circuit boards I kept from the Carrera. Much brighter brake lights to hopefully attract the attention of following SUV drivers. https://www.spokeworksled.com/produc...re-led-pattern

Looking at options for having the seat belts rewebbed as well. Still on the fence on how, what and who for that job.
    - Arne

I've used "Snake Oyl" products right here in north Texas.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I've used "Snake Oyl" products right here in north Texas.
    That's good to hear, Ed. I wasn't terribly impressed after talking with them on the phone. I'll give them another look.
    - Arne

Gotta love a Guy who shares his adventures . . . + product tips

Good stuff, Arne

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    New delay today. I thought I was ready to bleed out the brakes, but found that at least one of the two reservoir supply tubes is cracked. The other feels rather brittle as well, so I ordered up both lines plus a new reservoir to be safe. Sunset had 2 of the 3 parts on the shelf, but one had to be special ordered, so I'm a week or more away from finishing that.

Since the brakes stalled out, I moved on to the lights. I now have all the exterior lights working except the license and backup lights. It looks like the 2 disconnected wires I saw on the right side of the transmission are the backup light wires, so that shouldn't be hard to fix. I also upgraded the brake lights to the big 48-LED circuit boards I kept from the Carrera. Much brighter brake lights to hopefully attract the attention of following SUV drivers. https://www.spokeworksled.com/produc...re-led-pattern

Looking at options for having the seat belts rewebbed as well. Still on the fence on how, what and who for that job.
    The reservoir lines you'll receive will be black unfortunately they're not white/clear any more.
    72S, 72T now ST

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    The reservoir lines you'll receive will be black unfortunately they're not white/clear any more.
    I had noticed that, Scott. I can live with that. While I do want the car to look reasonably correct when completed, safe and functional is more important since I plan to drive the car a lot when done.

While waiting on the brake parts today, I fitted the rear sway bar to the car with new cups and bushings, determined that the turn signal cancelling cam on the wheel was missing, and finalized all my seat belt parts orders.

For those with inquiring minds, I talked again with the people at Ssnake-Oyl about replacing the webbing only, not re-plating any of the metal bits. They gave me a ball-park price of $175 each, with a 4-6 week turnaround. I also contacted SeatBeltPlanet.com about the same service. They quoted $130 each, which includes return shipping, and typical turnaround is 24-48 hours. I bought custom belts from them for the '64 FJ40 I restored last year, and they seemed fine. So that's where the belts were sent today.

Hot tip of the day - Wagner, Raybestos and Centric master cylinders are all re-boxed German-made Ate cylinders. Typically priced $100 less than Ate boxes, and WAY less than Porsche boxes.
    Last edited by Arne; 03-13-2019 at 09:12 AM.
    - Arne

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post

Hot tip of the day - Wagner, Raybestos and Centric master cylinders are all re-boxed German-made Ate cylinders. Typically priced $100 less than Ate boxes, and WAY less than Porsche boxes.
    Interesting.
    If you don't mind please post pics of the new cylinder.

I admire your pragmatic philosophy. Aesthetics should never take a backseat to safety.