Thread: Engine lid cable guide

Engine lid cable guide

Can someone post some photos of how the 8mm guide tube for the lid opener passes from the B post through the rear arch and ot to the rear crossmember. My tube is missing and I am looking to fit a new one. My rear cross member was replaced in the past and there appears to be no hole from the engine bay out to the wheel acrch area. There is a loop on the inside face of the cross member for the end of the tube. I assume I tag weld the tube.
    Thanks

Name:  7331401D-A2E2-4870-8965-4C7B339857D7.jpeg
Views: 294
Size:  48.1 KBName:  6FB22EB4-F520-4F7E-9427-F76FF1F6F67D.jpeg
Views: 303
Size:  46.9 KB

I found a hole. Covered over with compound and paint. I assume this is where the tube comes through., sorted unless I am mistaken.

Name:  E407B2F2-6233-4910-8BE5-021DD24749DC.jpeg
Views: 286
Size:  32.1 KB

There is a tube that runs almost to the latch from the hole you found. When I visit my car in the paint shop in a couple days, I'll take a picture and post it for you.
    Cheers,

Jones...
    early S # 2626
    '71 911T
    '05 BMW 330ci
    '22 Wills Sainte Claire
    '96 S10 truck

Michael,

that is exactly the hole, where the engine lid cable guide runs through.

I bought this guide some weeks ago. Still have to build in.

seller was: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Motorhaubenz...72.m2749.l2649

Thanks that is excellent. I have some 8mm OD stainless steel tube from eBay. It was 2m long and a fraction of the price of the OEM part. Now I just need to bend and fit it.

lid cable guide
    Name:  bATI4XknRVeUa81nsxFzHw.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  65.5 KB
    hole
    Name:  eIVi5MwcRwaRjBc3JXLuSA.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  131.3 KB

that's how it should look like-rust included
    Name:  VJg6Q0qSRSmWpMSytJr2lQ.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  106.5 KB

Here are some photos of the engine lid cable guide path from my '70E
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Now to get a really good look at where the guide tube goes, you have to remove the rear fender. Pardon my rust, this is a while ago just after media blasting. ;-)

Name:  P1120493.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  142.0 KB
    ____o0o____

1972 Targa 911S (one day), silver gray (maybe), member 3337

Thanks for the photos. These are a real help. Just finished fitting and the stainless tubes I got worked out fine. I formed the bell ends with a brake pipe tool and used an 8mm external pipe spring to do the bends. I thought this may be difficult but they bent fine without creasing or kinking at all.
    The cable I have is supposed to be the right length but is about 2” short. I thought this was because the pipe was too long. It’s should be 1750 long according to what I have seen on line but could not get my tube that short. I followed the path shown as best I could whilst keeping the pipe as short as I could. Seeing the above photo I am sure it must be longer that that so my cable must be short. It was a used part from eBay so it had probably been cut in the past. I will get a new one in.