Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 71S color change quandary

Banned

71S color change quandary

All of this talk about 2.2S engines has me thinking about my 1971 911S coupe. I've sought counsel from a friend here whose perspective I greatly admire but he gave me an answer that I didn't want to hear (lol) so I'll open it up to the gallery.

Background:
    My pop's car that I bought 30 years ago. Well optioned including sunroof, elec windows, fac A/C, LSD, fogs, and of course sport seats which were standard.

Now the poetic justice... original color is Sepia. Changed it to 8080 a long time ago and now considering changing again to of all things... Sepia. 2 big problems: I obviously despise the color of turd and the original tan vinyl is nowhere to be found.

My dad had no love for the car and feels the same way about brown as I do so please don't get all romantic or mushy on that front. I'm hoping to hear a perspective that hasn't occurred to me but at this point I'm inclined to bid adios to Sepia forever and go with a color that makes my heart sing, like Pastel Blue or Signal Orange. Will I ever sell the car? Probably not but one never knows. The fact that I'm even considering Sepia could mean that there's something going wrong with my brain.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

The biggest value for the original color is realized upon sale. If you hate the color and plan on keeping the car, then choose the color that will make you want to drive the car.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I'd go with my heart. If it was always a certain color when my Dad owned it, I would pick that color. Here was my Dad's '69E about 50 years ago (that's my little sister).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Scope Creep Poster Child
    What color would your dad have preferred?
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Banned
    Dave,
    Unfortunately I'm afraid original Sepia has the same effect on value as a color change.

Awesome Peter! Nothing like old photos to steer our decisions but I have zero pics to move me.

"Go with my heart"... Candidly I've never understood that saying. How does one know it's their "heart" talking? There's a side of me that would love to go back to Sepia because it opens up a cornucopia of possibilities for vanity plates! Is that my heart speaking?

My top pick would be 9ARRHEA.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Clarke View Post
    What color would your dad have preferred?
    My dad's alive and well and actually has no opinion on color. He simply doesn't care but we both agree that Sepia is the worst color ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    My top pick would be 9ARRHEA.
    LOL. Just read that to my wife who laughed harder than I did. Just one of the ways I know I married well.

I'll make you an offer Frank, paint it Sepia and get the 9ARRHEA plate and l'll pay for the paint job just for bragging rights. Similar to a standing offer I have with my employees: 2 extra weeks maternity leave and $10k if you let me name your newborn. No takers yet but one of my sales guys came very close to having a son named Fireball Schwartz.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    LOL. Just read that to my wife who laughed harder than I did. Just one of the ways I know I married well.

I'll make you an offer Frank, paint it Sepia and get the 9ARRHEA plate and l'll pay for the paint job just for bragging rights. Similar to a standing offer I have with my employees: 2 extra weeks maternity leave and $10k if you let me name your newborn. No takers yet but one of my sales guys came very close to having a son named Fireball Schwartz.
    First of all, I wish I was a virile married employee of yours. Fireball sure beats most of the goofy names Millennials come up with.

And B, if it's the paint shop of my choice we have a deal!

I would absolutely paint it pastel blue or whatever color you want for a few reasons...

1. You hate Sepia

2. You being in the biz, have an easier trip to go back to Sepia in future. But, if you aren't planning to sell any time soon, any monetary loss (if any) will be outweighed by your years of enjoyment.

3. You hate Sepia

Let your Dad pick the color, and now the car gets a nice story. Challenge yourself with the vanity plate. Maybe something like DEP ENDS since you've controlled your pool problem.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    I would absolutely paint it pastel blue or whatever color you want for a few reasons...

1. You hate Sepia

2. You being in the biz, have an easier trip to go back to Sepia in future. But, if you aren't planning to sell any time soon, any monetary loss (if any) will be outweighed by your years of enjoyment.

3. You hate Sepia

Let your Dad pick the color, and now the car gets a nice story. Challenge yourself with the vanity plate. Maybe something like DEP ENDS since you've controlled your pool problem.

Scott
    That's a great plate as well Scott butt are you able to best John's offer?

There's a legit argument for freshly minted Sepia resembling liquid chocolate. (Which I happen to love!) Short of a lobotomy how do I develop a paradigm shift to turn lemons into lemonade or poop into potpourri?