Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad oil for our engines

Same "Stuff" Different Day:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

If it's aircooled, put in Brad Penn. Period. If you are racing, the Brad Penn tends to break down, based on oil analysis, after 1 to 2 hours of track time depending on the ambient temp. For my track/street 1988 944 I run Brad Penn 20/50, for my race only 1989 944s2 I run Liquid Moly 10-60. I also run 20-50 BP in my 1989 911 w 3.4l, short geared hot rod, and my 1975 backdated to 1970 911 appearance w 3.0l and PMOs. I run all my cars hard, maintain the hell out of them and change oil frequently. If in doubt, change the oil and always get an oil analysis done. An oil analysis lets you know what's rubbing and wearing in the engine. And always, always run your old oil through a filter to look for bits of metal and stuff.

After break-in, what do people think of using Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50? Seems to have all the good stuff in terms of ZDDP, and it's synthetic. Currently running it in my early targa and my 993...

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    After break-in, what do people think of using Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50? Seems to have all the good stuff in terms of ZDDP, and it's synthetic. Currently running it in my early targa and my 993...
    I mix Mobil-1 V twin 20/50 with Mobil-1 15/50. I feel V twin may have too much ZDDP and because my car sometimes is not driven for weeks the 15 W is better at start up.

FWIW, professional race teams use whoever is paying the bills.

2018 F1 Champion, Lewis Hamilton, is sponsored by Petronas
    2018 Nascar Champion Joey Legano is sponsored by Pennzoil (Shell) and Penske Racing uses Motul is in the Acura IMSA car
    2018 F1 MotoGP champion Marc Marquez is sponsored by Repsol
    2018 NHRA Top Fuel champion Steve Torrence is sponsored by Red Line

Years ago when "I could" straddle an 851/888, Eraldo Ferracci (Fast By Ferracci) was associated with Bel-Ray. Along came Agip and that became
    the oil of choice.

Filters are another also another item to be considered.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Anyone (private or commercial) done a comparison of Brad Penn 20-50 and new Porsche Classic 20-50? I've been a long-time BP 20-50 user in my 3.2, but changed to Porsche Classic (10-60) about a year ago and at temp, smells like an 80's IMSA Pit area.... nice!
    -Mike
    EarlyS #1320
    '71 T/RS LWT 3.2L

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    FWIW, professional race teams use whoever is paying the bills.

2018 F1 Champion, Lewis Hamilton, is sponsored by Petronas
    2018 Nascar Champion Joey Legano is sponsored by Pennzoil (Shell) and Penske Racing uses Motul is in the Acura IMSA car
    2018 F1 MotoGP champion Marc Marquez is sponsored by Repsol
    2018 NHRA Top Fuel champion Steve Torrence is sponsored by Red Line

Years ago when "I could" straddle an 851/888, Eraldo Ferracci (Fast By Ferracci) was associated with Bel-Ray. Along came Agip and that became
    the oil of choice.

Filters are another also another item to be considered.
    Things aren't always as they seem.....

I winessed an un-named top, then USAC, team mechanic drain STP cans and re-fill them with Valvoline in Gasoline Alley back in the 70s. Their car had STP decals all over it! Lance Armstrong and his USPS team were sponsored by TREK. It was common knowledge that Lance's time trial bike was a Lite Speed titanium painted as a TREK.

More oil trivia: Jerry Woods, former Garretson engine builder of renown and multiple race winner, INSISTS on SWEPCO. Smokey Yunick was very specific in preferring Pennsylvania crude based oils over Texas/Oklahoma crude......something about metallurgy.

Me? Like I know! .....Kendall (Brad whatever, Penn, whatever) for life...as long as it's GREEN! (Although under threat of bodily harm, I have SWEPCO in my two Woods motors......I think Jerry just likes the dark blue/purple)

Just adding to the confusion. ��
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by richemj View Post
    Porsche Classic (10-60) about a year ago and at temp, smells like an 80's IMSA Pit area.... nice!
    Ha! So it smells like bag fulls of cash lightly dusted in cocaine?

These oil discussions go on forever. I've used Mobil 1 15w-50 for as long as its been around and have never had a problem. If it can hold up in a turbo in Texas heat its good oil. Counting all the cars I've had I've probably got close to a million miles using it without a failure.
    Caveat, I do change it every 5k miles or twice a year! But it only costs $26 for a 5qt jug at Wal Mart.
    Brad Penn is probably good oil, as is the Porsche stuff, but they price it like printer ink.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by richemj View Post
    Anyone (private or commercial) done a comparison of Brad Penn 20-50 and new Porsche Classic 20-50? I've been a long-time BP 20-50 user in my 3.2, but changed to Porsche Classic (10-60) about a year ago and at temp, smells like an 80's IMSA Pit area.... nice!

LOL

Bill Verburg @ posts #10 and #13.
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-porsches.html

I use VR1 20w50. It's easy to find and has enough Zn. Not sure who is "bottling" Porsche Classic Oil but there are more than a handful that produce this viscosity.
    FWIW, Castrol and Agip and others make "classic motor oils".

Castor in the crankcase smells nice too.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

In the 3.2 in my '84, I noticed much quieter valve train noise immediately after a switch from Brad Penn to VR1. I've been on VR1 ever since.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic