Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche 911 SWB Original Bosch FRONT and BACK TAILLIGHTS NOS

Banned
    Original Euro lenses didn’t have 64 DOT markings. (No reason to; those cars were never intended for U.S. market.)

This horse was thoroughly beaten in the thread below:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...uro-Tail-light

If someone has aftermarket Euro lenses without this please posts pics. Me thinks there are no “accurate” reproductions out there.
    Yet.

Banned
    A public thank you to Cedric. Received and exactly as represented!

Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    Look what happened to Merick's accurate SWB Euro lenses. They sold out fast and there are no more being made. They were TOO accurate. Chris
    Chris,
    I do want to quash once and for all this notion that an accurate Euro lense has been reproduced by Merek. Or anyone else for that matter.

NO ONE has proven yet that any such aftermarket product has ever existed.

Banned
    Eric, fortunately this happens to be one of my least consequential fetishes. Matching socks with a hearty elastic band is probably #1 on my list. Stockings that constantly fall down can absolutely ruin my day.

Making my living in the mechanical end of this industry you will never, ever get an argument from me regarding safety/functional items like tires, brake hoses, fluids, gaskets/seal materials, etc.

BUT

when it comes to esthetics I believe there will always be a thin slice of the market that sets the bar high, valuing original parts above aftermarket. Especially NOS.

Are you saying new, original (obviously accurate) parts are not the ultimate goal when choosing cosmetic or esthetic parts? And if that's true then why would there be any reward for an attempt to remanufacture an exact copy like you so faithfully do?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    I'm up skiing, heading back out. I'll reply from my soapbox later ��, and your reply is absolutely correct, but does deserve a reply from me covering a number of facts from my own perception that does need to be voiced.
    Well ladi-freakin-da.
    You’re skiing; I’m working.

I look forward to hearing your response after you’re LOADED on peppermint schnapps.

Who doesnt want original dated parts for their 911?

NOS SWB Tail Light Comps . . .

. . . right side only . . .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-901...frcectupt=true

". . . For sale is a right side NOS or New Old Stock early Porsche 911 or 912 single unit tail light assembly. This is new in the box and has never been installed on a car. It has been in our storage for over 35 years. These will fit 1965-1968 Porsche 911 or 912 models. The tail light lens is all red with a clear back up and the lens is not removable. The part number is 90163140401 . . .'

Ask = $1345

(NOT mine)

Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Banned
    NOS U.S. lights are readily available Rick.
    I'm almost surprised that you can't buy them on Amazon.

Eric,
    I feel your pain; you're a better man than I for even attempting some of the projects you've taken on. As for the parts that sparked your promising Go Fund Me commentary...

"4 digits" is huge. Like it or not, signal lenses are now a significant "tell" on Euro SWB cars. When observers notice the "64" markings it immediately casts doubt on where else the restorer may have taken shortcuts. And it's not the same scenario as your headlight lenses. For all practical purposes NOS headlight lenses are as rare as a conservative Democrat. (Given the choice I would rather have your re-created lense, albeit "incorrect" than clapped out, pitted originals.) NOS signal assemblies ARE absolutely available; one just has to man up and pay the piper. If they account for 6-7% of of the entire restoration budget, so be it. Gotta pay to play.

And if someone has early NOS headlight lenses, I'm a buyer.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 01-13-2019 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post

And if someone has early NOS headlight lenses, I'm a buyer.
    how early within the early cars..like 64 early?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    how early within the early cars..like 64 early?
    Yes.

Like 901 early.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Yes.

Like 901 early.
    hella or bosch is my next question for you...don`t ask me which ones would be correct for your application.