Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: first paint

Auction or Bring A Trailer if going for top dollar with the a reserve you're comfortable with. It just gets it out there to much more of the population whom would need to put eyes on the car. You could sell the car to a guy who promises to love and care for the car and then he gets divorced 2 months later and has to sell it. A great car will bring the money original paint or not. If the car needs to be repainted it needs to be repainted. Depends to me 100% on the quality of the original paint.
    72S, 72T now ST

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Yes, no question. I have the same fetish for original interiors, especially on early 356's
    I agree it is personal choice and while prefer original I can admire nice paint restoration. I do get bugged where people spend all the money on work and do car incorrect to spec ( not in case or a rod or deliberately intending to change) but when apparently trying to get it to factory spec often accompanied in auction or dealer listing with claim of perfect -- but then fail. Just simply not observing or researching or executing with care and then steamrolling out some feature or detail. Little excuse these days given this site and other resources

I have used this before but image sums it up the concern when restoring. I get they're not a priceless one off work of art just cars that produced in quite high numbers over many decades and intend to be driven, however well meaning people (be it the owners or 'shops) having a go at restoring them in persuit of original correctness doesn't always make it better:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  58.4 KB

I too am not a fan of all new interiors in classic cars. Like a Botox facelifted face -- rarely an improvement on nature. A nicely patinated interior ( not some filthy shagged out threadbare horror where there is no option to replace) is preferable to me as interior is hard to get right and often it loses some of its appeal / history. Particularly nice original patina steering wheels and a few heel marks on carpets around pedals and seats from the miles put on gets my vote over everything replaced with new repro items. These are classic cars not brand new cars ( which have their place) so some evidence of life showing can be most attractive and to me a premium.

Agree a lot depends on what the starting point is as that will strongly influence options for repaint to leave. Might be a pity to repaint a nice original first paint survivor if an otherwise similar car needing paint is an option and repaint is likely pre decided goal. The are plenty old 911 examples out there in all sorts of conditions. Pity to buy (at premium) then needlessly steamroller away history of those ever fewer unmolested exemplars extant -- whether redoing first paint when not necessary or redoing still nice careworn interiors -- although always owners prerogative on what they do with old cars doesn't mean it is a good thing.
    Steve
    PS
    A 500 mile car was dropped of yesterday at my house and already had marks and scratches on paint. Cars can get paint when new still in factory if pulled for quality issue or minor damage in-process so persuit of perfect maybe fruitless.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-05-2019 at 12:44 AM.

Banned
    Steve,

Thanks for brightening my day! There are few paintings in life that make me smile as big as that "restored" painting of Jesus. You get extra credit for bringing such wonderful visual aids to class. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Steve,

Thanks for brightening my day! There are few paintings in life that make me smile as big as that "restored" painting of Jesus. You get extra credit for bringing such wonderful visual aids to class. Thank you!
    I don’t see much difference. They both look like Jesus to me. In the same way an RS looks just the same as an 83 backdated RS replica. I mean, who really can spot the differences with that little centre dash vent and those funky wheel centre caps with the two holes.

No, the guy’s got a beard, must be Jesus.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Steve,

I'll bet from 60 feet you could not pick out the original! Or if you can just keep moving back until they look the same.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

HMMMM ... Someday, I will find out what a very nice, original paint car will bring. But, then again, brown is not a popular color. But, then again, the interior has great patina. But, then again, it might have too many miles. But, then again, it is a one family car with all the original documentation. Way too many variables to weigh ... what a challenge!
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027