Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: first paint

Thanks to everyone for their comments. What I'm trying to do is help a friend place an extraordinary example of an original SWB car. Very, very good paint, crisp original interior and a mechanically tight 43k mile car. A very desirable color combo. It even smells right. A special collectable/archival piece. There is not a single member of this community who would not "love" this car. The issue is value. He does not think, nor do I, that Hagerty's value for a #1 condition car comes close. In fact it will not move the dial. Beam me back down Scotty if we are dreaming. Continued thanks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sanders View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their comments. What I'm trying to do is help a friend place an extraordinary example of an original SWB car. Very, very good paint, crisp original interior and a mechanically tight 43k mile car. A very desirable color combo. It even smells right. A special collectable/archival piece. There is not a single member of this community who would not "love" this car. The issue is value. He does not think, nor do I, that Hagerty's value for a #1 condition car comes close. In fact it will not move the dial. Beam me back down Scotty if we are dreaming. Continued thanks.
    What year?
    HUGE difference between a '65 and '68.

And color will make a difference as well. You're talking very thin air in the price range that I suspect you're thinking. Color matters to this very tiny segment of buyers.

'66 Irish green/tan. And I believe Hagerty's value for a '66 #1 is $209.

Banned
    The closest comp that comes to mind that was in the wild was the dark blue early '66 that European Collectibles had 2-3 years ago. Magnificent car. You should be able to find a link without much searching.

At this level I actually think the market is very similar to where it was in 2016. Can't wait to see pics.

The original post is therefore not the question I assumed it was. I thought you were deciding whether to leave a car alone (original but scruffy) or repaint (glossy but perfect) under restoration. It just shows how important it is to phrase a question to an audience so they get the meaning.
    As Frank says it would have been more to the point to post a few pics and ask ‘how much is this worth?’ adding a few important details as text. Without these we are all just guessing.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

I was hoping it was a question of relativity. Equal cars, one with very good original paint and one with an excellent repaint. How is the value impacted proportionally? I was looking for a rule of thumb, if there is one. Keep the comments coming, thanks.

I guess it is also a question of interpretation of ‘extraordinary’... it is always ok to ask and expect a premium for what we consider to be of value; but if there is no market, then the value falls away... best to put the car to auction to find out whether your notion of extraordinary is valid or not (in market terms)...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

I'm getting waaaay ahead of my self here but the idea is to "place" the car and an auction environment doesn't allow for that. This transaction, if it happens, would be between two enthusiasts with the assurance the car will remain in proper stewardship.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sanders View Post
    ... if it happens, would be between two enthusiasts with the assurance the car will remain in proper stewardship.
    Always get a kick out of that.

It's a car.

Not a puppy.

Agreed, sounds hokey. But I did place a puppy with a real jerk once, regrets.