Thread: Leistritz Police: Please Confirm Year-Model Application!

Leistritz Police: Please Confirm Year-Model Application!

Leistritz Police,

Please confirm if stamped info on photo of stainless steel Leistritz 2-in 1-out muffler is correct for a 74 thru 76 US/Euro Carrera RS.
    My Thanks in advance.

Paul Rodelo
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Steve,

I really appreciate all the detailed information.
    Below are more pics of the SS Leistritz 2-in 1-out.
    The only modification made by previous owner was install of an O2 bung.
    O2 bung is not visible when mounted on car.
    Note: I did previously install this Leistritz on my 70 911.
    It fit in the stock location without issue.

Thanks again,
    Paul Rodelo

It is not a "US" Muffler as all the mufflers for 75, 76 and 77 911s had a fitting on the front side for a EGR pipe. I cant say for sure what ROW mufflers on 76 911s look like as I am born and raised in California. Even back in the mid 70s we were ahead of the rest of the US and the world with smog regulations and had our own exhaust systems starting with the 75 year model 911s.

Ciao

Jim

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    cars not for California didn't have EGR in 75-76. I think USA by 77 had EGR. The only way I know to absolutely know if a muffler is SS, is if it has 4 layers of metal at the muffler seams. A real close picture of the seam is what I need. SS mufflers were mild steel double wrapped in SS and are still magnetic because inner skin is magnetic. Check it out. G

Gled49,

Based on the pics below, it is exactly as you described, the stainless steel muffler has (4) layers.

Thanks,

Paul Rodelo

Gled49,

Also referenced below is my 1969 date coded mild steel Leistritz with (2) layer construction.

Thanks,

Paul Rodelo

Jim,

After reading your post and reviewing Steve's (911MRP) post, this SS unit appears to be a pre-impact bumper Leistritz as it has the same tailpipe design and angle of my 69 date coded Leistritz and fits on my 70 911 without issue. Again, I really appreciate everyone's input.

Kind Regards,

Paul Rodelo