Thread: Thanks to the community here & my Porsche story was posted...

Thanks to the community here & my Porsche story was posted...

Just wanted to thank the group here for many of the what I thought was unobtainable parts for my date-matched restoration of my 1973.5 starter 911. This got to be much more expensive of a restoration than I imagined going into it, but I wanted it right!

Thanks to Ed Mayo, friend of this forum on final assembly, and Fred Busche of LA for letting me know the tricks on engine disassembly and reassembly!

Did anyone else submit a Porsche story?

Here's mine:
    https://www.porsche.com/microsite/91...2c473be5c5836e

Dave

Friday the 13th . . .

'. . . After our kids left, I’d been thinking about getting a Porsche, again. I’d owned a 356 Roadster for 13 years, but sold it when we bought our house. Five years later, with space in the garage for another ‘fun’ car, I’d decided to finally get a 911.

After doing some reading and looking, I became interested in the early cars, and decided to look for one of the 2.2 liter ‘S’ cars --- dog-leg gear box, mechanical fuel injection, magnesium engine, aluminum panels . . . all of the signature features that make Porsche’s Early 911s so interesting. (OK – quirky.)

Anyway, after searching for a few months, I’d found a car in North Carolina. But by that time, things had changed --- my work, my wife’s work, settling in to our house, holidays coming . . . and the Great Recession. Didn’t seem to be a good time to buy, so, I passed along the information about the car on one of the web-sites where I’d been searching.

As it turned out, not only did someone see my post, but they actually traveled to see the car, drove it --- then shared what they found . . . including pictures they took. I took one look at those photos . . .

. . . and could not get that car out of my mind.

I decided to find out more. After some back and forth phone calls and messages, I contacted the Seller, Mark Allbaugh. Mark had owned the car for 23 years, repainted it in the early ‘90s, but had not done any restoration or made any modifications. I asked for, and promptly received more photographs, and really liked what I saw. Just a nice old car.

I wanted to have a pre-purchase inspection done, but there was one problem: distance . . . I was in California and the car was in North Carolina. So, I contacted the PCA zone representative for that part of NC, to ask for some referrals for people to perform the PPI, and contacted John Forbes. John was familiar with Early 911s, and we got along well on the phone. Problem was distance, again . . . John was 200 miles way from Mark. And I was 2500 miles away from everybody. And none of us knew each other.

Don’t ask me how we managed it, but we all agreed to have John drive out and take Mark’s car back to John’s shop, and perform an inspection. I received updates and pictures, and, although there were some surprises --- and John’s pretty soft-spoken, anyway . . . he could barely contain himself.

I bought the car --- over the phone . . . without seeing it (except in pictures), or driving it . . . or meeting either Mark or John . . . on a Friday the 13th.

Six months later, I flew out to Raleigh and drove it back home to California --- cross-country in two days.

That was 10 years ago. I still send Christmas cards to Mark and John . . .

. . . still never met Mark
    . . .'

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/91...107c69ced87b6b

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-08-2019 at 02:21 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

two great stories!!!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Olaf Shipstead's Old Car . . .

. . .

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/91...s-wants-to-run

We Can Be Heroes

Magnus Walker . . .

. . .

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/91...o-urban-outlaw

We Can Be Heroes

Another thread . . .