Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finding my old 914

finding my old 914

I am trying to locate my original 1972 914. I bought it new , picked it up in Osnabrueck Germany, in June of 1972, drove it through 9 countries, shipped it to Chicago, picked it up and drove it to Lincoln Ne. where I had it for several years. Ex kept it in divorce but it stayed in Lincoln for a while. it was always worked on by Bud Dunclaw at Road and Track Motors, which has been closed for some time. It was a white with appearance group, 1.7, Padrinni (sp) wheels. the last plates I had on it was G-914. I have no vin or other numbers on it. If anyone in the Lincoln area my might possibly be able to help, there would be a finders fee for sure. I haven't talked to Bud for about 4 years and don't know if he is still around. Worked on my Texas registered 71 911e, until then in his spare time. Thanks for any help I can get. Jon S Blocker Corpus Christi Texas 361-739-6953

Banned
    Needle in a Nebraska haystack.

Not so far fetched though... talked to a guy yesterday that found his family's Chev truck he drove in high school 25 years later. His brother's grad tassel still hanging from the mirror! Ended up being 5 miles from his house.

Good luck, keep us posted, and don't get divorced again.

Thanks for advise Frank, should have listened to you 45 years ago. Jon

Banned
    So the grass wasn't greener? lol

In case you want a placeholder I have an interesting 914.
    73 2.0, 30k miles, Tangerine and ready for this? Never been titled! The original owner I bought it from brought it over from Germany when new and kept it on the MSO for 40 years! He lived in a very, very, VERY small town (Elkhart Lake to be exact) and apparently local LE didn't care that he had no lic plates.

I still shake my head. I would have been arrested and thrown in the pokey if I tried that.

Sounds like nice find! Actually the grass has been greener for 30 years, and this one has let me stumble through over 20 P cars, along with several others. With my ex I actually owned 2 912s and a 1965 Euro 365 SC cab. I was on the CCPD for 29 years and always seemed to find the cars that needed the have the titles and paperwork screwed with to get correct,

Check with the folks on 914 World.

Good luck without the VIN.
    Perhaps DMV keeps records back to then?
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Try looking through insurance records.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Nebraska DMV won't release any of those records for personal reasons like I am requesting. Has to be for a legal reason. Already contacted them. Not even my 29 years of law enforcement would satisfy them. Thanks for the idea though. Can't remember who I had insurance with back then, my parents probably remember more about what I did back then than I can, TOO many beers I think, LOL Jon

Have you tried to contact Bud Dunclaw?
    I maybe have some kind of bills with the name of your ex-wife and the VIN.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 928cs View Post
    Have you tried to contact Bud Dunclaw?
    I maybe have some kind of bills with the name of your ex-wife and the VIN.
    Color me inquisitive: Why would you have copies of his ex-wife’s bills?

I’ve been searching for a paper I wrote in my 8th grade Creative Writing class from 1973. Any chance you can find that?