Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The good old days

Quote Originally Posted by Rolly View Post
    The CEO of Birkenstock bought my Carrera Speedster 12306 he's a Porsche guy.

Regards
    That’s the unique T5 speedster? Didn’t it just sell in the last few weeks?

As for 000 I bought all the back issues available (sadly some are missing) plus a subscription.

Because of this thread I ordered issue 001 and then 008 and a subscription. What a terrific magazine. The article on the 67S is truly great with beautiful photography. The only problem: now I want one, and I want to live in SoCal too!
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    Because of this thread I ordered issue 001 and then 008 and a subscription. What a terrific magazine. The article on the 67S is truly great with beautiful photography. The only problem: now I want one, and I want to live in SoCal too!
    I haven’t gotten mine yet! ��

I live in the Netherlands, so I ordered from the German supplier who delivered in two days. Did I mention I'm in love with that 67S coupe?
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

I still haven’t received my 000 issues.

You should write direct to Pete. I’m sure it’ll get sorted very quickly...
    Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    I still haven’t received my 000 issues.
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Magazines arrived. They had been sent back as I wasn’t here to sign for them.

They are packaged incredibly so allow time to unpack them. Very impressive.

And the quality of the magazine is great. Beautifully done.

Thank you everyone for alerting me about them and encouraging me to buy them!

Dmill,
    Not to start an argument with you, but I don't think the illegible writing down of a VIN number on an uncovered dashboard with a crayon had anything to do with which country a worker came from. Numbers are universal as opposed to words which are a particular language. A Turkish worker would draw a 1 or 2 the same as any German. In my opinion the reason why the numbers were hard to read or illegible in some cases, was because the marking was only for temporary internal identification purposes among the workers along the various depths along the production line. Porsche never intended these crayon markings to be a a basis for confirming the originality of one of its cars 50 years later. It was simply used to quickly identify what part belonged on the car, or what color it was supposed to be painted, and what engine it would receive while being passed around in the factory.
    It is important to remember, they didn't think that they were working on a rare car for posterity like some family heirloom, just like no one at Ford on a production line believes that the mustang they are working on is going to be worth 20 times more than what it is right now once it hits the dealers lot. They were just sports cars built for the day.
    Similarly Porsche's Cardex cards from back in the day are also riddled with inconsistencies and incorrect numbers typed in by some Hessian or Bavarian secretary banging away at an old German typewriter listing and/or omitting the various options that came with a 60-70's 911 or 912. Germans make mistakes all the time just like everyone else in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmill View Post
    911T1971 points out a very important fact that a lot of us overlook.....We think our beloved cars were built by Germans.....Not so much.....Germans were the folks in management and in some cases the boss on the floor of the factory...but the low pay, low skill factory jobs were folks who emigrated to Germany after the war....The Russians, Americans and British did a pretty good job killing a generation or two of Germans.

I believe this is why it is sometimes difficult to read the numbers written in yellow grease pencil quickly on places like the dash as the car moved through the line

Germans never make mistakes....just ask anyone who works in the German Automobile industry........Germans keep impeccable records.....See War crime trials...