Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The good old days

Pete,
    My favorite issue yet! So many great articles. But then I'm biased toward beautiful 67 Bahama Yellow Porsche's. Ben yours is a real beauty! Pete my renewal will be in this week.

As I grew up a 10 minute walk to the beach in SoCal for the first 20 years of my life, I wear sandals 12 months a year here in Colorado. Even in the snow if it's not too deep.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

...just remember “these are the good old days
    Bill
    1969 911T - sold
    2001 911 Turbo - sold
    1996 911 C4S - returned
    1982 911SC - gone
    1960 356 Roadster - sold

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Love those crates!

I'm going to back up on the strap now knowing it's an Oct '66 pic.

Good thing I was only betting my ant farm.
    My car, 306572, was an Oct '66 production...black enameled strap.

Several other photos of '67 MY production line posted on this site show black straps.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 911TES View Post
    ...just remember “these are the good old days
    Easy to forget this dose of reality. Thanks Bill.
    Scary to think about.

Good info Mark.
    Frank......you all are right.

Quote Originally Posted by uai View Post
    Even if this a bit off topic. I think in the 60s there was an occasional Blue Collar Worker @Porsche from Turkey. Most immigrants/ Gastarbeiter in germany in the 50s and 60s were from Italy. And the handwriting you see on Kardexes and Dashes is pretty much what I call "old" and german. It's not Sütterlin which was forbidden 1941, it's the way you learnt writing in the 30s 40s and 50s. You can still today figure if somebody is german, french, english or US just by the way they write.
    Perhaps a good question for Frank Jung how the percentage of Gastarbeiter at the production Line was in those years. My guesstimate for 1960-1970 <15%.
    Cheers
    Uli
    Re workers from Turkey, I read this somewhere in a period Christophorus.
    Agree, Italian and Spain too, in Switzerland a lot also from Jugoslavia.
    Porsche had quite advanced working benefits, blue collar workers included.
    Registry member No.773

Not sure if the same in Germany, because I believe the (coal-) mines were further north than Stuttgart, but in the Netherlands, the DAF-factory for example was built as a replacement for workers that no longer had a job once the mines closed mid sixties. The thing was though that those ex mine-workers didn't want the factory jobs, so the factories had to get immigrants instead, there mostly from Turkey and Morocco.

The only thing a Daf car - who here even remembers them? - and a 911 have is common is the big 1968 London to Sydney marathon; they both participated, with Zasada in his 911S finishing in 4th and the Dutch Racing team Daf 55 coming in at #17.
    Last edited by patrick911; 01-10-2019 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Gastarbeiter. Non citizen guest worker.

Can't comment on the factory workers, but I can tell you that a mechanic at a private shop who worked on my 356 in Munich in 1968 had an SS blood type tattoo on his arm (inside above the elbow)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Pete,
    Socks would make me look like a hipster... 'cept I'm too old.

However I am looking forward to being one of those crazy old coots who wears compression stockings with sandals and fart whenever and wherever I want.

I quit subscribing to printed publications during the Clinton Admin but I guess it may be time to pony up if you're going to post pics like that. Bravo.
    ^ Got a good laugh out of me (bolded).

000 isn't print as you knew it (on the way out) or really much like print of old, either. Something different, mainly because we were crazy enough to want to do a "magazine" without all of the ad pages and thus have the space to explore the subject and supersize the pics that usually get short shrift. We get to work with some pretty neat folks, as well—which is to say at least as nutty as we are. Nobody in Birkenstocks and socks so far, however.

I suggest maybe trying one issue and see if it's up your alley. Given what you like (or at least, what I think you might like), perhaps Issue 001 is that issue? There are "contents" lists with each back issue if you want to make your own call.

Best,

pete