Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1966 headrests

1966 headrests

Having spent about an hour with the search function, I still haven’t found the answer.

It’s my understanding that 66 headrests were optional. I’ve read where they were also dealer installed.

These would be the 356 type. I’m wanting a set for my 66. My dumb question is:

Do the back rests have to have the mounting hardware inside them? I’ve pushed in on my seat backs. There is no hardware inside the seat back to secure the rail guides to. This tells me that with the early headrests, the backs of the seats needed to have hardware installed before covering. So, the Dealership had to either take the upholstery off the back of the seat or install another set of seat backs.

Am I missing something? In that...not all ‘66’s can have headrests without either new seat backs or tearing the seat apart to install hardware inside the seat. True or no?

Thanks
    ‘87 911
    ‘66 304307
    S Registry #3791
    David Cate

The “hardware” for the head rests is in your seats. I’ll post pictures tomorrow. You don’t have to
    Remove any seat covers to install the head rests, either

Regards

Jim

It’d help to know what im looking for Jim. Thanks a lot.
    ‘87 911
    ‘66 304307
    S Registry #3791
    David Cate

The picture of the "mount" inside the seatback is from a 356 not a 911/912, although yours may be similar"
    http://forum.porsche356registry.org/...hp?f=1&t=43372
    Option: https://porsche356registry.org/article/103
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I might have been looking too low. I’ll check again.
    ‘87 911
    ‘66 304307
    S Registry #3791
    David Cate

I’d of never found those without that diagram. They’re under some fairly dense foam and higher than I thought. You gotta know what your looking for to know.

Now if I can keep from butchering my vinyl....

Thanks for the instructions.
    ‘87 911
    ‘66 304307
    S Registry #3791
    David Cate

Here is a naked 66 seat back. These headrests provide no protection for your head and neck whatsoever.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Great pics man. Comfort only, got it. Thanks Jim.
    ‘87 911
    ‘66 304307
    S Registry #3791
    David Cate

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Here is a naked 66 seat back. These headrests provide no protection for your head and neck whatsoever.
    That’s interesting. Despite not liking the look, I’ve periodically thought about adding them for safety - and you are suggesting they won’t help at all? Is that since they will tear off given the flimsy screws? Frame? If bolted or something would they?

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    That’s interesting. Despite not liking the look, I’ve periodically thought about adding them for safety - and you are suggesting they won’t help at all? Is that since they will tear off given the flimsy screws? Frame? If bolted or something would they?
    You have hit upon a few of the reasons and all are valid. Just one look at the headrest pictured in this thread and one can see that there is no way that thing could restrain anything let alone a human skull. There is no structure inside the headrest, at all, and the supports are just thin spring steed that will not support any weight. Adding them for safety reasons is a waste of time and money. You are probably better off without them so you won't have a false sense of security.

Regards

Jim
    62 356B Cabriolet with headrests