Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 119200154

Well, skiing in CH is even more expensive! But the snow has been great and will only last another month or two. . Then it will be gone and the mountain roads will be waiting for you...
    I will pm you about the Fuchs 6 x 15 wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
    Hi Garth,
    Not found a 6X15 that I can (want to) afford.
    I know about Kav and have followed his posts/clips on youtube. He does great work. Engine wise, mine is an E, but it will come to matter in a few years only.
    Sunroof wise, I have an unreasonable dislike for those. And I need the headroom. And about every part is damaged, rusted or broken.
    We all have a hankering to attack every part of a project, but I am trying to prioritize things. My plan now is to build a strong table on casters, to drop the engine on. Steel is bought, measures are taken. Only shopping for time now. With skiing every weekend, time is expensive and rare.

I got a free day (a bum knee is keeping me off the skis this weekend).
    I managed to put the car on the lift. How do you put a car that has no left rear longitudinal on a lift? You improvise. It is not perfect, but will do for engine removal.
    Of course to remove the engine, I had to make a sturdy table on casters. I can't weld for shiite… But it is good practice.

The grille is dead. Long live the grille!

Telemark is Norwegian for I can't turn. Randonne is French for I can't ski. 911S is universal for big fun.
    Last edited by steve shea; 02-03-2019 at 04:20 PM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Great looking shop. Based on the paint scheme on the walls, are there any Look bicycles hanging up?

No, but Mondrian called to say good job.
    Grille is done, and lid is hanging out of harm's way.

I have a question for the seat police: the seats that came with the car are...well patinated. Are they correct for early 1969? They are heading for the bin, unless someone wants some parts of them.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
    No, but Mondrian called to say good job.
    I would have to agree with him LOL

On the seats - I'm not the seat police but to me the seats look SWB - '67 , early '68.
    I would not trash them because there is a market for those seats. Sell them.

Some recent references in the For Sale section here:
    SWB Seats
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ighlight=seats
    '69 - '70 Seats
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ighlight=seats

Engine out

The table top is varnished and dry, I found a way to lift the car (at least for the time until the engine is removed, I have to think that over afterwards).

It was the easiest engine removal ever. Lift car up. Remove rear wheels. Slide roll table under engine. Lower car until engine touches table. Remove 4 bolts (crap, lost 30 seconds, one was allen headed). Lift car a bit. Slide engine backwards. Lift more. Roll table out. 20minutes, walked slow.

I got all the numbers. The gearbox has never bottomed out. It does all match, which is good to confirm.

Separated gearbox. Done for tonight

grrrreat seats...... my all time street seat fav

Gearbox: That thing has never been apart. I scraped over 1/2" of caked oily dirt from it in places.

I also removed the lid and hung it on the wall, but not before dropping it on my foot, corner first… The bruise is still there 10 days after, complete with violet swollen toes, and is *exactly* where a Telemark shoe bends…

Have a visit from the body shop organised for timing strategy, repairs and dipping-wise. It is the shop that did the work on my 964, so I know they are good.