Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: 119200154

Now to assemble it !

General wisdom wanted:

I have *a lot* of bolts/nuts/washers/brackets/parts that need to be replated. The clear plating is no problem by the local plating company, who do it by the Kg.

The problem is yellow plating. Laws have caught up with them and the lawmakers have prohibited the hexavalent chrome needed for that nice deep yellow hue (with good reason, it is a horrible poison). They have a "yellow zinc", that is more of a transparent with a yellow tinge under the correct light.

There are ways to get the correct yellow plating that involve transoceanic postage, and possibly high costs.

So for the same function: deep yellow, or local work?

And assembled. Judicious use of the freezer and heat gun got all bearings and parts in without effort. Need to set drag with the torque wrench.

The blasting shop, named Micro-finish, used either glass beads or hard plastic pellets. They could not tell me at delivery.

Skiing season is upon us. That means sore quads (Telemark rules), busy weekends and a cold workshop.

Still I have not been completely idle.
    I got the engine oil cooler back, straightened (Yikes, I told them no to), cleaned and tested. A-OK.
    Same shop repaired my RS fuel tank that had the smallest leak,
    and declared the spare fender oil cooler deader than disco.

I have also brought about 80% of the hardware to be tumbled before re-plating, to ensure a better result.

Looks like a good repair on the tank. Is the fender cooler the factory expensive radiator type?

Yes it is. See: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...82#post1045282

I don't need it for this car and it is beyond what's possible to repair here. I hope Lars gets to do something with it.

Forgive me, oh Ferdinand, for I have strayed from originality.

Experts car to tell me what it is? It has great patina under the tape and dirt.

I give up....

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    914-4 wheel.