Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to remove the tail light buckets

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    curious if the passenger side bucket also has two holes(is it a late 73?)
    I'll let you know when I get there. Yes, it's a 1973.5. Built in August, 73.
    Brad

'73.5 911T Targa (Kaptain Karmel)
    Early S Registry #2585

My guess is the reason for the 2 drain holes on the body is that it was a compensation because the new batch of tail light box's the factory received has a new location in the light box of the drain. When I was restoring my 1970 911, I bought NOS light box's from a vender in Los Angeles and the box,s had the drain hole in a different spot. So rather than drilling a new hole in my 911S body; I had to drill a new hole in the light box to fit the drain line. Looks like the factory might of done the reverse and drilled the body the extra hole instead. chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    curious if the passenger side bucket also has two holes(is it a late 73?)
    Resurrecting this thread, the answer is YES, the passenger side bucket also has two holes.
    Name:  IMG_1052.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  95.7 KB
    Brad

Early S Registry #2585

Quote Originally Posted by Adore911 View Post
    Just open the engine bay, pull the connector off and push the taillight side of the connector through the opening in the inner fender to the outside.
    Ding, ding, ding! Adore911's method was the easiest. Trying to get the backplate off the taillight bucket and disconnect all the wires while the harness was still connected was annoying. Much easier to disassemble the taillight bucket once they were both free and on the work table. BTW, when opening the bucket back plates to inspect the wires, both buckets had a sealer material that pretty much disintegrated when I opened them. Sort of like a liquid gasket? Does anyone know what the factory used to seal these buckets from moisture penetration?
    Name:  IMG_1055.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  121.3 KBName:  IMG_1057.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  220.0 KB
    Brad

Early S Registry #2585

I use caulking from my hardware store, or dum-dum from the auto parts store.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I use caulking from my hardware store, or dum-dum from the auto parts store.
    Thanks for the reply, Ed.
    Brad

Early S Registry #2585