Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FS: 67 911 Coupe Light Ivory/Black

Banned
    Actually all SWB used the Tecumseh compressor.
    Black, cast iron boat anchor.

"Better to have and not need it, than not have it at all."

So if I decide to finish the car before I have a buyer I'm inclined to leave the A/C on. I absolutely agree that if someone poopoos it at that point, it's not the car for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Actually all SWB used the Tecumseh compressor.
    Black, cast iron boat anchor.

"Better to have and not need it, than not have it at all."

So if I decide to finish the car before I have a buyer I'm inclined to leave the A/C on. I absolutely agree that if someone poopoos it at that point, it's not the car for them.
    'Buyers'/people are going to poo-poo the car either way, so you're really damned if you do...and damned if you don't. There IS not right answer. If you happen to decide to post the car here when done, (with A/C), people will flame the price for being 'too high' for a car with A/C....and 'no air-cooled car should have it.' If you post it here without A/C, it won't be 'owiginal' and you'll get flamed for taking it off.
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Frank, did you spec and install the A/C in Duanne's '68 Hotrod? I was looking at that for my father about 10 years ago and that system blew some cold a$$ air! My 2 cents - re-install the factory air.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Banned
    Scott, It was actually for a friend of Duane's. (Current owner is part of this community.) But yes A/C is great and RS spec motor not half bad either.

Banned
    Glad that you mentioned the '68 build Scott. I stumbled across the invoice for it a few days ago and just shook my head.
    Per customer's wishes here's what I built and sold in 2007:

2 owner, rust-free, very original Tangerine '68 coupe that spent its entire life in Phoenix.
    Complete, bare metal color change to Silver.
    Full cosmetic resto.
    Autos International red vinyl interior.
    Built a SWEET 2.7 RS spec motor on alu case (I still have the original case.)
    Deep 6 Fuchs.
    A/C that WORKS.

All for the princely sum of under $50k.

Aside from the price of raw hardware appreciation, my point is that restoration and mechanical services have far more than DOUBLED in the last 12 years. Given the ongoing shortage of skilled craftsmen and mechanics in our little industry I predict that they will indeed double again within 10 years. We're already at $150 an hour for air-cooled.

For those who think we may be in a "bubble"... think again. Go ahead and continue waiting. The ship will just keep sailing.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...729#post459729
    Attached Images Attached Images

@Frank,

Double Thumbs up on the cost of restorations rising. BTW, do you have any pixs of the that delicious red interior on the silver 911 above?

Hi Frank, thanks for throwing up a pic of my car.

One big reason I purchased that silver car is because of the A/C, it is a significant comfort adder where I live. Here in south Louisiana it is very hot and very humid most of the year. I am never reluctant to take the car out for a drive due to climate. The car grew up in the Phoenix area with factory A/C. Frank restored it for a customer, he made the A/C system top shelf cool. It works much better than the system in my 964 or 993, no joke. My teenage daughter once told me the silver car had the best A/C of all my cars and she frequently drives the 991!

Frank did the work back in 07 or so, I have never so much as added freon! I frequently drive this one in all types of weather, so it is good proof the systems can be made to work well, and while it certainly has the hoses from rear to front, cosmetics are not as bad as suggested.

You will have some fantasy racers that will scoff at the A/C, yak about weight, etc, meanwhile roll up the windows and roll in comfort. Put the A/C on it, make it work like this one, someone will be happy. They can't all be street racers.

Gary Cox
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA

1958 356A Speedster, Silver/Black
    1967 912, Aga Blue/Black

I knew you had a hand in that one Frank. We shoulda bought it. Good score for Gary. I drove it at Trffen Cambria in 2008 I think.

Hey we are heading to PHX tomorrow. If I have time, I’ll swing by the shop if it’s not a bother.
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 01-17-2019 at 09:09 AM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Posts well taken, but there are other parts of the country where you really need AC 10-15 days a years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    Posts well taken, but there are other parts of the country where you really need AC 10-15 days a years.
    I have customers who only drive their 911s 10-15 days a year. So it’s crucial that they and their significant other are completely comfortable for each of those days.

Really glad you’re enjoying the car Gary!