Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: 67 911 Coupe Light Ivory/Black

Banned

FS: 67 911 Coupe Light Ivory/Black

Trolling.

I learned long ago that selling a restoration before it's completed is usually foolish but testing the waters here. I would have posted in General but I'm confident that I would be accused of having an auction or at best a veiled "For Sale" ad.

One of the reasons that I'm considering offering prior to completion is my quandary on the A/C. It was installed at the dealer in TX when the car was sold new. (On the original purchase agreement.) An eventual buyer may not want it therefore it would be a shame to go through the trouble and expense of reinstalling all of the equipment, then pulling it back off.

This car was purchased new by a doctor in Tyler, Texas. He bounced around TX, CA, and ended up in AZ. Our shop first started servicing it in mid to late 90's. I bought the car from the doc about 16 years ago, drove it maybe 200 miles then sold it to a friend in 2006. He put less than 500 miles on it then I bought it back about 9 years ago. I would be shocked if it's had more than a thousand miles put on it in the last 20 years. Documentation reflects the mileage as being original (Approx 80k.) I was going to leave it alone but as prices began to skyrocket I decided a soft restoration was in order.

Body never rusted, whacked, or showing evidence of trauma of any kind. Painted with Light Ivory Glasurit single stage about 4 years ago (original color), suspension powder coated/plated, rebuilt, bone stock matching number 2.0. Original black vinyl interior is very nice. And yes; the signal lights are NOS. Nothing has been shortchanged. Pretty much just needs assembly. I can also offer a few different options including: '67 sport seats, Fuchs, 128's, and of course a badas motor.

Since this is in the For Sale section and I have to put some kind of price on it... let's say 125k outright purchase now plus a "not to exceed" balance once finished? Again, main reason I would do this is because I have this reoccurring dream that A/C reinstall now may be a complete waste of time.

I welcome thoughts, criticism, and commentary. Especially on the A/C.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 01-15-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Banned
    Duane was certainly a big fan of cold air. I do miss him.

Thanks Eric. Your opinion certainly carries a lot of weight.

Would it happen to be an Delanair system? If kept in the car (which btw, I agree w/Eric) I ‘assume’ you’d upgrade the lines and condenser? I have a ‘68 912 SWT that the orig buyer had the dealer install A/C at a cost of 800.00 dang near 15+% of the car just for that. Your ‘67 looks nice and I think you’re on the right track.
    Last edited by nvr2mny; 01-15-2019 at 09:33 AM.

I say go with the AC especially give the fact that its documented. If someone sees it as a negative then this isn't the car for them.
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

I get Eric's point and a (working) AC can be a great thing in hot countries but.... did one of you ever see and niceand clean dealer-installed AC system? From a mechanical/aesthetic standpoint I don't like this after-market stuff: ugly holes with sharp edges all over the body, floppy but brittle rubber lines and make-shift stuff in almost every corner of the car. And - after 40 years of neglection and us trying to get it running again - do they really work? Of course not. I take dealer-installed or after-market AC's out of every car I lay my hands on. Not because Dr. Porsche didn't install the system at the holy factory itself, no, because most just don't look right or have been installed by a guy who really didn't like cars but had a big desire to drill holes....
    Mike, member #841

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mike66 View Post
    I get Eric's point and a (working) AC can be a great thing in hot countries but.... did one of you ever see and niceand clean dealer-installed AC system? From a mechanical/aesthetic standpoint I don't like this after-market stuff: ugly holes with sharp edges all over the body, floppy but brittle rubber lines and make-shift stuff in almost every corner of the car. And - after 40 years of neglection and us trying to get it running again - do they really work? Of course not. I take dealer-installed or after-market AC's out of every car I lay my hands on. Not because Dr. Porsche didn't install the system at the holy factory itself, no, because most just don't look right or have been installed by a guy who really didn't like cars but had a big desire to drill holes....
    Phoenix ain't Zurich.

Customer dropping off their car for service: "My brakes are horrible and I almost crashed! And my A/C stopped blowing cold. I understand if you don't have time; the brakes can wait."

Mike, you obviously have absolutely no concept of what hot weather is. Most people in our region refuse to drive a car without A/C in the summer months. (That's mid April-late Sep around here.)
    Yes, A/C can work in an early 911. (Very well in 100+ degree temps I might add) I can assure the eventual owner of this car that it will have:

1. No holes that look like they were made with a fire ax.
    2. All new barrier hose.
    3. Original left front A/C condenser with twin Spal cooling fans.
    4. Either a mini rotary compressor or a 6" York piston compressor. (Both work well and don't load the engine too much.)

A/C is one of our staples and I know it exceptionally well. I can promise that the system in this car will kick as.

Yes Doug, it's a Delanaire system.

Yes, super hot in AZ, and I am sure Frank can keep a 911 cool inside. Fortunately it's dry heat, mix in humidity and you would have a challenge. I guess if you leave the AC out, then the car will never get driven. Most aftermarket air in 356's and early 911's looks as it was installed in a gas station with a Craftsman 12 piece tool kit.
    I think your post is valid. If you leave it out, the buyer will want it. Put it in, the buyer will want it out. Ask me how I know.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    If you leave it out, the buyer will want it. Put it in, the buyer will want it out. Ask me how I know.
    Exactly Rick! Been there myself.

Better to have and not need it, than not have it at all.

When you think early Porsche AC, all I can think of is the standard upright piston massive York compressor.