Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: headlight question

headlight question

Guys,

i've been toying for a long time now on ever having a car with yellow accents and i'm slowly moving forward. One of those steps is a conversion of my headlights to something more yellow but instead of going with amber lenses i'm thinking of doing something in between.

Here some pictures of a look i like. Not too present but still yellow-ish. The thing is, i don't know what i'm looking at. Can somebody shine a light on these? (car is owned by 'tennster' on instagram. I love everything about it...)

Been spending some time no the forum and saw these as well. Owned by zigzag123 here on the board. Are these the same as above but with regular (white) lenses and a yellow citylight bulb mounted?

Thanks for any advice!
    Click to see my momo collection --> For those interested in my steering wheel collection, feel free to have a look

On the white car, isn't the chrome bezel 356? It does look cool. I never realised it could fit on a 911 if you cut the bottom tab off.

Cibie biode headlights in the last picture have a yellow plastic cover that fit's over the bulb.

The others seem to have amber lenses on the 7" inch lights.

Dave

Thanks for the info. Still not there yet what parts i need to look for so any other input is welcomed.

Edit: did some more digging and it's getting clear now. In case of the biode's at least. The other set i'm not sure yet on how to put it together. It seems the housing itself is indeed 356. I'm wondering now, what kind of 911 would these fit? Are there difference throughout the years?
    Last edited by Robi; 01-17-2019 at 11:00 AM.
    Click to see my momo collection --> For those interested in my steering wheel collection, feel free to have a look

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    The 356 units can be mounted on an early car in lieu of the covered sealed beams used through '67. Two of these VW units were on my '65 911 when I got it:

Name:  VW_911_Light.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  134.3 KB

It wasn't done as elegantly as the lights in the photo you posted. But, when I got my car (20+ years ago) NOS correct 911 covered sealed beams were still easy to get.

The easiest way to get yellow headlights is to mount H4s:
    • Covered sealed beam units with 7" H4 inserts, either correct 911 covered lights or modified 356/VW units
    • Sugar scoops with 7" H4 inserts
    • The Porsche 911 H4 units

Then, just get yellow H4 bulbs. You can get those from Amazon, Pep Boys, etc.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by Robi View Post
    Guys,

i've been toying for a long time now on ever having a car with yellow accents and i'm slowly moving forward. One of those steps is a conversion of my headlights to something more yellow but instead of going with amber lenses i'm thinking of doing something in between.

Here some pictures of a look i like. Not too present but still yellow-ish. The thing is, i don't know what i'm looking at. Can somebody shine a light on these? (car is owned by 'tennster' on instagram. I love everything about it...)

Could this be a yellow reflector? I too want a yellow headlight apperance on my 911, but a more subtle one than a yellow lens provides. A yellow bulb cover could do the trick, but this yellowish all over tone I like. Will also go very nicely with the new, green metallic body color of my car, much better than with the white paint on this example. Apart from that a fantastic looking car
    Last edited by Einar Irgens; 10-28-2021 at 04:54 AM.

I remember back in the 60’s dad tinting the top of his windshield with some sort of liquid. I bet that there is still some kind of liquid that you could tint the lenses with to achieve the degree of yellow you desire.
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

Do law enforcement officials have an opinion in your region ?

I went with Cibie Bi-Iodes on my car. I think it's a cool look, and many others seem to agree. Name:  Cibies.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  138.1 KB
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

I definitely do agree. But my 911 is a 73-model. Bi-iodes and '65-'67 headlights look kind of old fashion on a '73.

Are there yellow covers on your high beam bulbs? Or are those yellow bulbs?

Einar