Hello,

I have a query about LWB amber turn signal lenses. Here are two photos:

Name:  E-mark example.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  200.9 KB

Name:  lens_colour2.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  72.8 KB

Why is it that some have the E1 mark whereas some others have the vvvvv K43210 symbol?

Was it because until 1973 there were only six countries in the EU (formerly EEC) - Germany, France, Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy?

So, does it mean the countries that were not on that list like GB, Ireland, Denmark, etc, did not get the E1 lenses?

But what's mind boggling is that I've never seen SWB turn signal lenses with an E1 symbol.

Please enlighten me.

The European Economic Community safety approval for vehicle components came into force with Directive 2009/19 (E1). So anything prior manufactured in Europe would rely on the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe regulations to a certain extent (e1). No idea when this came into force.The European Community tried to incorporate individual European country specific approvals into the overarching 2009 Directive. I think this is the roughly what happened.
    The EEC was enlarged in 1973 to include the UK and Denmark plus others.
    Last edited by Saskia; 01-16-2019 at 08:39 AM.

Thanks Saskia.

That particular lens with E1 in the photo above has a date code 328, which is Aug 1973, so it's a lot older than 2009. There must have been some sort of a regulation in the late 60s or early 70s but when exactly?

That E1 mark is specifically a German approval of that lense under the ECE. The other lense has the older German TUV mark with the registration number pertains to again, the German approval for that lense. The E1 mark supersedes the TUV when Germany agreed to adopt the ECE as a unifying European standard. That’s why you’ll never see a E1 mark on a true SWB vintage lense. IIRC it was around 72 or 73 when the old TUV marks gave way to the ECE marks. One can also track progression of countries adopting the ECE marks on glass headlight and auxiliary light lenses. Should be pretty easy to determine the exact date that Germany switched over.

You’ll see this on all automotive lenses and automotive glass. This is all from memory. YMMV
    Last edited by 70SATMan; 01-23-2019 at 04:21 PM.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Thumbs up

Thank you Michael.

As stated above the E1 mark represents the approval of an EC regulation by an official German regulatory body. It does not necessarily mean the part was manufactured in Germany ( but is more than likely to be the case) There are approved regulatory bodies entitled to certify conformity to an EC Directive in many countries. For example French approval carries the mark E2, the UK E11. There are also non European countries that have a regulatory body which can confirm approval of conformity. (There are 48 counties in total)
    In my earlier post I stated the Directive from 2009. This superseded a Directive from 2004 Which again superseded one from 2002. As far as I can see the first Directive related to car lighting type approval was in 1970. This would not necessarily mean that lenses supplied in 1970 would have to conform to the Directive and carry an E mark. Typically the European directives make allowance for stock held by manufacturers and others to be sold and therefore run down. New production however would need to be approved and carry the relevant E designation.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

To clarify not all roughly 48 of the current country ecode existed back then. Elsewhere a year or two ago I posted a list if the E country code in use as at circa 1971/2. Think it was on post discussion of windscreen markings.

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Elsewhere a year or two ago I posted a list if the E country code in use as at circa 1971/2. Think it was on post discussion of windscreen markings.
    I can't seem to find it. Can you post a link please?

Quote Originally Posted by blue72s View Post
    I can't seem to find it. Can you post a link please?

It is in book excerpt image in post #33-- source book published and translated around 71/2
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...creen+markings