Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat exchanger experts, question

Heat exchanger experts, question

Other than a '65 what year heat exchangers will be the same as a '66? Thanks
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
    Other than a '65 what year heat exchangers will be the same as a '66? Thanks
    All of them thru 74 are essentially the same and can be bolted right on your 66 engine. Now the heater box police can start to pick nits.

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim

Can anyone tell me what this small tube (circled) is for? I don't have this on my '66.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
    Thanks Jim

Can anyone tell me what this small tube (circled) is for? I don't have this on my '66.
    It is for a rubber hose that goes to a MFI pump for heat. Not needed for carbs or CIS. Can be blocked off.

Jim

Thank you Jim
    Scott

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    The pre-heat tube would of appeared on 69 MY.

Does anyone have a photo for a 911T engine? Anyone have a pair of used ones for sale?

Thanks for the link mate but I'm trying to source cheaper ones as the postage cost will be a killer...Cheers!
    Last edited by al agustin; 02-11-2019 at 02:00 PM.

My '67 Normal had the original heat exchangers with "chokes" in them. I still have them but SSI's are on the car.

FWIW: Porsche experienced cracking issues in some heat exchangers noted in a bulletin dated December 16, 1966. The bulletin is 2 pages and gives a description of the work scope and labor time.
    Here is an excerpt regarding the seriousness of the problem:

"The introduction of such gasses into the passenger compartment may be unpleasant and, under certain circumstances, will present a significant safety risk. Therefore, the program described below must be carried out as quickly as possible"

In another bulletin Porsche also allowed customers to upgrade to the 911-S heat exchangers however they charged for this because performance was increased.
    The cost was $65 each. Porsche claimed an increase of 10-12 DIN horsepower with the "S" heat exchangers.

The heat exchangers in question were: 911.211.011.00 left 911.211.012.01 right.

The new heat exchangers were: 901.211.011.01 left 911.211.012.02 right.

The "optional" S heat exchanger part numbers were: 901.211.017 left 901.211.018 right.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by al agustin View Post
    postage cost will be a killer
    I would strongly advise adding location info so that we can avoid wasted effort. Long distance or cross border shipping is a deal killer.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers