Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Luftgekuehlt 2019 any news ??

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRS View Post
    Maybe this is becoming a very elitist deal. Seems like the folks who are the most interested, may not get in to the display area.
    I'm curious as to your thinking. Why would you think that the people displaying, who obviously own some nice cars, would be less interested (or less worthy, perhaps?) than those who were rejected? Does owning a car that was chosen to be displayed automatically make you an elitist and somehow less deserving?

Is there a preferred hotel? Where will everyone stay on Friday night?
    S. SCOTT STAMPER
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Early S #799
    R Gruppe #447
    72 911 T 3.0
    73 911 3.0 Turbo
    74 BMW 2002 TI
    79 930
    84 911 Turbo
    87 911 Carrera Coupe
    87 911 Turbo Coupe
    94 911 Turbo 3.6
    17 991.2 Turbo
    18 991.2 GT3

When I posted my car it was because of my excitement for it being chosen to be included in the event. I didn't realize how really lucky I was. I also didn't think of it as any indication of elitism. It's just an R Gruppe car - not concours or even close. It's a modded '72T that I happened to develop starting in 1998 for a specific purpose and then use for that purpose over the next dozen years. It's being part of a club that later limited its membership to 300 is probably more arbitrary than anything else. I look at its inclusion in Luft 6 the same way, although knowing Patrick and Jeff I'm sure there was a reasoned approach.

It must have been next to impossible task to pick the display cars. I have photographed Stacy's RS and it is awesome, one of a kind really. It belongs in any show. I hope everyone gets a chance to see it soon.
    Last edited by a911s; 04-09-2019 at 01:31 PM.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    . . . Word on the street is that it's going to sell out in record time. They could probably charge double and still sell out. From that perspective, I think it's a bargain . . .
    Hear-hear

I mean --- Mssrs Zwart + Long have grown this thing from a little get-together in a retail parking lot to THIS . . . in 5 years. Good for them --- + us

I'm not exactly crazy about crowds, but who knows how big their event will get? . . . or how long it 'll last

And consider the demographic, too. A LOT of the people that I saw at Luft3 didn't exactly strike me as Car People, soooo . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post866912

. . . if these shows manage to attract people who don't normally go to 'car shows,' then . . .

. . . can that really be a bad thing?

Regardless, there's lotsa people, here in SoCal --- all with money in their pockets . . . who'll pony-up to attend an event like this, so . . .

. . . 'lead, follow --- or get outta the way'

Personally? --- I'm waiting for TV coverage

Attached Images Attached Images     

We Can Be Heroes

912->911 conversion
    For those of us not blessed enough to live behind the Orange Curtain, it is worth it to have such an "event" to make the trip to. Add in flights, hotel, rental car, the cost of the actual event tickets are less than bothersome. But to me, this is my Disneyland. Heck, even my wife wished she was able to come to this one.
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe

Pots & Kettles

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRS View Post
    . . . Maybe this is becoming a very elitist deal . . .
    Oooooo --- the irony

IMO . . .

. . . our whole site is an 'elitist deal' --- almost by definition

Think about what gets discussed, here . . .

. . . matching numbers, Kardexes, provenance, etc, etc

And there are only ever a few hundred people on this site, at any given time. Zwart + Long could pull a hundred times that number in for their event

And how many of the people who throw down their money to attend know anything about 'matching' or 'correct'? --- or even care?

And what about Zwart + Long? --- why do they stage these events, in the first place? . . . .

. . . and just what do you think Luftgekühlt is all about? . . .

. . . vs Our Little Corner?

Attached Images Attached Images     

We Can Be Heroes

Short Version: . . .

. . . IMO . . .

. . . Luftgekühlt is more than just a Car Show

I don't even think it's that much about The Cars . . .

. . . rather more about The Audience

We Can Be Heroes

How to 'Sell' an Event . . .

Quote Originally Posted by lkadams View Post
    . . . it is worth it to have such an "event" to make the trip to. Add in flights, hotel, rental car, the cost of the actual event tickets are less than bothersome. But to me, this is my Disneyland. Heck, even my wife wished she was able to come to this one . . .

. . . = economic impact statement

(Every dollar spent at the event generates X-dollars for the community)

We Can Be Heroes

Several of us from the So Cal Porsche scene with 25-30 years of ties, had our cars denied. This event is becoming a “cronies” event. Some of the cars there in the last few years were garbage. If the event is not about the cars then what’s the point? Call it a “cool guys, with retro industrial vibes, and giant wrist watches” convention. Think of a bunch of Richard Rawlings looking guys in Piloti shoes and Starbucks walking around. It’s way over priced, the locations are generally crappy to get to, and parking and crowd control was really not welcoming the last few years. I like Patrick Long, but this thing is losing its way. No thanks, I’ll go burn my tires off in a canyon somewhere, and get a coffee at a diner.
    1969 911 E #824

As I think about it.
    It’s an “identity’ show.
    For some people wanting to show their identity...which is just fine.
    For other people wanting to find an identity...
    For some wanting to identify with the identities...

For me, I like seeing what mankind has done with metal and glass and leather and color.
    I kept going year after year in hopes to see a car in the color olive...which finally happened last year.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914