Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glass Out Paint Job Cost

My son and I recently bought a matching numbers 66 912 was was ruby red (6402). The PO decided to turn it into a hot roddish car and had it painted a flat guards red, no clear coat. The car as it wasName:  IMG_0014.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  90.7 KB

And as it is nowName:  IMG_0053.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  154.8 KB

We plan to take it back to as stock as possible with the parts that it came with and parts we buy. We are starting discussions about painting glass out and stripping versus removing the guards red, prepping the surface and painting over that. We'd be invested in hearing your opinions.
    Serge

City of Ben Franklin and Cheesesteaks
    Instagram: Truevisionmediaworks

Early S Registry #2457
    Daisy: 1972 T with 2.7 engine and Webers
    LOOKING FOR 911 Engine # 6123044

Rowlf: 2017 Volvo S60 with Polestar Optimization

Mostro di Biscotti: 1975 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S Series 2

Veronica: 1987 Carrera coupe - curves in all the right places...SOLD
    Lil' Blue: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon SOLD

For me this question is an exploration into what a purchase might cost. Looking at a car with recent engine, brakes, cis renovation. Interior is good original.

The frame/body is very good from current owner report and what I can see, though not an expert. Is there any way to get better view/report on body condition?

For sure a 30k unexpected bill would be a big hurt on my cash flow.

The info provide will certainly help with negotiation and understanding my potential overall investment. Thank you.
    Last edited by kahunahead; 01-20-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kahunahead View Post
    For me this question is an exploration into what a purchase might cost. Looking at a car with recent engine, brakes, cis renovation. Interior is good original.

The frame/body is very good from current owner report and what I can see though not an expert. Any way to get better view/report on body condition?

For sure I am not rich so a 30k unexpected bill would be a big hurt on my cash flow.

The info provide will certainly with negotiation and understanding my potential overall investment. Thank you.
    @kahunahead, based on this new data, I would dare say, any other part of the car has far fewer unknowns than bodywork. Once you strip a car to bare metal, all its previous warts are exposed, and it wouldn't be wise to do anything other than fixing any new-found damage.

I have a close friend who bought a car that was previously owned by a well-known member here in the northeast. The car was reasonably priced and well updated mechanically, so this new buyer felt pretty safe. When the car was disassembled for paint, the passenger's side B pillar and lock post had between 1/4 and 1/2 inch of bondo throughout. He had no choice but to dig much deeper into this project and carry on. What had started as a simple repaint with some minor tweaks turned into a full-blown, every square inch, full car restoration. With a price tag to go along.

Knowing this now, would he have been better off buying a crappy 911S than doing this same work to a 911T, when looking merely at the investment potential? of course. But when he's done, it sure will be a bitchin' 911T.

now, if he went into the project with a known good body/paint situation, but needing an interior, or mechanical work, it is FAR easier to know what those costs will be.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

When you see a 911 in the shop that is stripped to the bare metal, all wiring is out and now body work has started;by the time it is painted and all wiring is put back and interior done. I would say any shop in the USA ,you are looking at $100,000 to $150.000. So be careful about the "slippery slope" and "while we are in there" stuff. After these kind of experiences, I see a lot of these projects go up for sale that was not their plan when the project started. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

The frame/body is very good from current owner report and what I can see though not an expert. Any way to get better view/report on body condition?

For sure I am not rich so a 30k unexpected bill would be a big hurt on my cash flow.

The info provide will certainly with negotiation and understanding my potential overall investment. Thank you.
    This is why people like original paint cars. They hide no stories even in rough condition. If buying a restored or painted car, look for pictures or documents of the work
    I have come across bad bodywork 911s and have had to rescue them for their owners. Taking over somebody elses work can be challenging. But that is the cards you have to work with sometimes.

If buying a painted car, Make sure all the gaps and panel fitment are nice. Look at horn gills and signal light fitment. There are sometimes clues into where people cut corners.
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Rough order of magnitude, what might I expect to pay for a glass out paint job on a long hood with "no" rust/damage and keeping same color. Not looking for a concours restoration paint job, just a good quality driver.

Some sort of paint removal would need to happen, how would folks go about that? Would not want to remove interior/electrical/mechanical systems, but maybe that is a pipe dream?

Bill
    Bill, in good faith I have to say when someone approaches me and 'they don't want concours', 'no rust/damage' with the paint on the car, and a 'glass out' and 'quality driver', 'interior in the car', I take a deep breath. Those parameters are really meaningless and contradictory, so as any would probably do, I go thru the process, including actually seeing the car in the shop. No exceptions.

Very simply what you should do is find the reputable shops (hopefully one fully experienced in Porsches) in your area, and go and visit the shop. Pick one or two you like then take your car to that shop, let them inspect. A responsible shop will then explain the process so a price range can be determined. If you get a fixed or guaranteed price when dealing with a still painted car, still together......good luck. Same with prices "over the phone".

Just an old man's opinion that has painted Porsches approaching 40 years.
    Roy Smalley
    member 877