Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Varieties of 1968 Rear View Mirrors - Thoughts?

Varieties of 1968 Rear View Mirrors - Thoughts?

A couple of years ago I was able to buy a very original, low-mile '68 car out of California. When I got it back home, one of the few things I judged "incorrect" was the stalk for the one-year-only, breakaway rear view mirror. This one appeared to be chrome when every other one I'd ever seen was the textured, satin silver finish we're all use to. Like this:

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  245.6 KB

At the time, I didn't think much of it. I just assumed that a previous owner had chromed the stalk so I tracked down a good used one and replaced it.

But now I think I was wrong.

The following year I saw another original car in Hershey that also had a chrome stalk. Months later, I stumbled across a thread on Pelican where another member was asking about their '68 chrome stalk:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...or-mirror.html

And right now this is for sale on eBay:

Name:  s-l1600 (3).jpg
Views: 352
Size:  250.4 KB

And finally.... Just recently, with the help of another kind member of these forums, I was able to acquire some beautiful and correct NOS parts out of Europe. One of them was this 1968 mirror:

Name:  001.JPG
Views: 355
Size:  181.7 KB

Name:  002.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  184.5 KB

Name:  003.JPG
Views: 364
Size:  258.4 KB

Name:  004.JPG
Views: 384
Size:  250.2 KB

It now seems indisputable to me that Porsche, for whatever reason, made at least 2 varieties of this mirror. And, because this is the kind of stuff that keeps me up at night, I'm wondering if anyone else has any further information regarding this?

Anyone?

Yes my December 67 built 911L Euro spec came with chrome mirror and has chrome turn signal and wiper stalks from 1967 vintage. I was going to replace those parts with MY 68 ,but have now changed my mind to just leave them. I think the silver stalk 68 mirror looks a little cheap compared to the chrome anyway.So my car is another example of the factory using up parts from the previous year model until gone. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

I have a couple of these stalks if anyone wants to buy one
    Last edited by CarmelSkip; 01-19-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Side note that Mercedes also used this type of rear view mirror.
    The Mercedes mirror is part # 107 810 02 17. The stalk is identical except that it's covered in some kind of rubberized coating (which can be removed leaving bare pot metal) while the Mercedes mirror head is identical to the later 69+ 911 mirror heads.

I have one of those mirrors, Erik. I bought it based on someone else's advice when I was trying to piece together another '68 mirror and it's not identical. The spring-loaded release at the top is ever-so-slightly smaller. At least on mine. To get it to install you need a mounting plate with a smaller hole for it to fit tight. The part # I listed is identical and fits tight (if anyone cares).

The USA DOT was formed in 1968. They did not want bright objects in the driver's view, in fear of reflection causing a crash. So I would say US cars had a matte finish, and euro had chrome. This is also why the rear mirror became break away so it might not go through your skull in a crash.

I’m with Eric on this one. I’ve never seen a chrome spring loaded stalk on a 68.
    I’ve had some of the MBZ chrome stalks and always assumed that they would interchange
    With the painted ones. Can’t recall ever installing one, though.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Second side note is that I've got what appears to be multiple textures on the plastic mirror "backs", and they have the same type flip tab on the day/night function used for 68 (not the 67 type).
    When you have a minute, I'd be really interested in seeing some close-up photos of the multiple textures.

I bought a NOS chrome stalk version at the LA meet last year. I thought I had found some cool rarity. I was soon disappointed. It was pointed out to me that it was MB but now the one in the Porsche bag has me wondering. Is that part number different? Also I have owned a lot of 68s both US and Euro and all had the matte silver mirrors. Would love to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman View Post
    I bought a NOS chrome stalk version at the LA meet last year. I thought I had found some cool rarity. I was soon disappointed. It was pointed out to me that it was MB but now the one in the Porsche bag has me wondering. Is that part number different? Also I have owned a lot of 68s both US and Euro and all had the matte silver mirrors. Would love to know.
    Most of the Mercedes stalks I've seen seem to be satin finish as well with a few chrome stalks popping up here and there. The one I bought that didn't quite fit was a satin finish.

Based upon the totality of the parts included in my recent bulk purchase, I'm confidant that my NOS mirror in the factory bag is an authentic Porsche part. And based on my own 1-owner, low-mile '68 car and others I have seen, as well the experiences of others on these forums, I'm also confidant that Porsche manufactured at least 2 versions of this mirror. The question is why/when? Were they meant for specific cars? Were they manufactured by a new vendor at some point as replacement parts? Or is this just another case of us caring about these details more than Porsche ever did and we'll never know?