Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Varieties of 1968 Rear View Mirrors - Thoughts?

If I understand your question correctly... my stalk appears to be a '67 chrome, and the mirror itself looks to be identical to the original (LiveFromNY) posting of the NOS mirror. Perhaps its the same setup you purchased. I can remove it and snap some better photos, but didn't know what would be involved. It appears as though Jim (member here) is selling the same one on eBay, and lists it as "late '67" mirror:

Scott

https://www.ebay.com/i/202550590908?...3D202550590908
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Scott, is the tip of the day / night switch flat on your mirror ? I understand that the 68 version has a bump on the end. You can clearly see this on the NOS mirror in the first post in this thread. I think mine was a very early 68 mirror with a 67S chrome stem left over in the Porsche parts bin.

Dave

Dave,

Yes, I believe the tip is flat... here are some pics, after I cleaned it up a bit. The mirror has seen some use, to say the least.

Scott

Thanks,Name:  8693.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  351.0 KBName:  8694.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  270.1 KBName:  8695.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  137.7 KB
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

Yep, a 67 mirror. If yours is an early car, could be what the factory fitted. If a later car then probably replaced at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman View Post
    I bought a NOS chrome stalk version at the LA meet last year. I thought I had found some cool rarity. I was soon disappointed. It was pointed out to me that it was MB but now the one in the Porsche bag has me wondering. Is that part number different? Also I have owned a lot of 68s both US and Euro and all had the matte silver mirrors. Would love to know.
    The part # I see inside my chrome (what appears to be '67 stalk?) is slightly different: 901 731 131 21. I can also see a stamp on the inside of the base, near this part #, and it reads 21 I believe, and is inside a triangle stamp.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Yep, a 67 mirror. If yours is an early car, could be what the factory fitted. If a later car then probably replaced at some point.
    Yeah, my car is 1180002, and went out the door in Mid July of '67. I've seen 67S cars that have a later date as well.
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

Probably original to your car then Scott. Here's the stem i sold. I assume the part number on the bag is for the 68 NOS mirror it came with.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ar+view+mirror

Not for sale at any price.

I will sell my NOS chrome stalk break away '68 mirror for the $750 I paid if anyone is interested. It is absolutely perfect. Please contact me direct dahearn67@gmail.com Thanks.

Just a little something to tie this up…

After the Phoenix Club swap meet today, we had time before our flight to visit the Petersen museum and see (again) the excellent exhibit of The Porsche Effect. One of the cars on display is a 1968 911S SWT - an Italian-delivered beauty with great options including an elephant hide interior. I was taking a few photos when I noticed something interesting…

Name:  IMG_0608.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  184.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0604.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  237.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0605.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  215.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0606.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  264.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0611.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  237.5 KB

I’m now convinced. Between members with chrome stalk mirrors in their cars (me, raspy2point2, mrar), the Peterson ‘68S, and the NOS mirror I posted earlier still in its factory wrapper, this is becoming pretty clear. Be it a geographic option, a later Porsche replacement part, or just another of those Porsche anomalies we all love, it’s fairly obvious to me that Porsche produced this mirror in both satin and chrome stalk varieties.

Found this in my memoirs.
    Guess its from a late 67 s or early 68...Also have the Mercedes version, complete.
    Almost, certain, this stalk came out of a Karmann built 68 coupe, I dismantled in 1994. Karmann may be the "connection" Certainly a Targa would look sharper with a chrome stalk.....
    Looks to be the same as post # 25
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Cliff; 03-05-2019 at 06:41 AM.
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.