Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 904 LSD open heart surgery

Quote Originally Posted by ajwans View Post
    I'm finding Molykote G paste hard to find in small quantities
    Let me have a look I might have a little to spare.
    But apart from that they ship e.g. worldwide
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/292696856952
    Last edited by uai; 02-27-2019 at 12:39 AM.

Castrol Optimol Paste PL
    Liqui Moly LM48

both look pretty close in properties....

Olivier.

Good News yes it's Molykote G and it's at least the same age as your diff.

Name:  IMG_2838_k.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  82.3 KB

Bad News shipping of goods from Germany is as of 1st Jan 2019 no loger possible as a letter: Meaning to conus it's minimum 18 Euros.
    But I can fill a little bit in a ziplock and give it a try - and you can explain to customs what anthacite stuff you're getting in ziplocks....
    Let me know if we should do so.

Restoration newbie.
    I appreciate your offer Uai, I have found a local stockist.

That's a nice vintage tub you have there.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Restoration newbie.
    I've applied the Molykote and buttoned it all back up. I made the adapter plate just like in the workshop manual. Only problem now is when I test the function it needs significantly more then 7-10 ft lbs of torque to turn one side. The LSD is setup for 75% locking like in the workshop supplement.

Maybe I don't understand the test completely. If I give a little hand pressure on the opposite shaft in the opposite direction to the torque wrench it turns OK, but not freely. If I apply only pressure on the torque wrench it tends to stop turning.

Any chance of a youtube video performing this test on a well maintained and functioning LSD?

andy
    67S in pieces
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm finding Molykote G paste hard to find in small quantities, I can have a 5kg tub for $1000 but I'll pass hard on that, it doesn't look like anybody imports the small tubs to Australia. The alternate assembly paste is LM 348, I guess this is a Liqui-Moly product although possibly NLA.

What do you suggest for reassembly in the absence of Molykote G?

andy
    I haven't used that particular product. I am guessing from its name that a major component is molybdenum disulfide (MoS2). If indeed that is the case, it does not belong in, on, or near a clutch-type (Salisbury) differential: the MoS2 will poison the plates. Does the Porsche literature recommend its use? I've seen (and used) MoS2 paste as recommended in open differentials, but never in a LSD.

Please forgive if I've missed something here.

Restoration newbie.
    Both the little ZF book and the the supplements to the workshop manual instruct the reader to coat all contact surfaces with Molykote G or LM 348.

andy
    67S in pieces
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Restoration newbie.
    I finally got back to looking at this, I found a source for the hardened steel catch plate, so I should have replacements for that part soon.

When measuring the clutch pack under compression I found the installed length to be 81.79mm which is within spec, but not by much.

My problem is that the housing depth is 86.11mm and the cover plate extrusion is 4.39mm. The resulting housing space for the guts is 81.72mm. This is too small.

What should one do in this situation, shim the cover with a gasket to provide 0.1mm of free play required?

I'm not sure how this situation has arisen, perhaps some genius faced the housing to eliminate excess play and went a little mill crazy.

andy
    67S in pieces
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When measuring the clutch pack under compression I found the installed length to be 81.79mm which is within spec, but not by much.
    My problem is that the housing depth is 86.11mm and the cover plate extrusion is 4.39mm. The resulting housing space for the guts is 81.72mm. This is too small.
    What should one do in this situation, shim the cover with a gasket to provide 0.1mm of free play required?
    Andy, see if you can assemble and close the diff.
    If you cannot close it with light torque on the cover screws, then measure the gap between the housing and the cover.
    And if you can assemble and close it, see if you can rotate the internals, or it's locked up.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
    Andy, see if you can assemble and close the diff.
    If you cannot close it with light torque on the cover screws, then measure the gap between the housing and the cover.
    And if you can assemble and close it, see if you can rotate the internals, or it's locked up.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA
    That was my thought assemble and measure breakaway torque.
    The couple 1/100mm will be molykote