Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ‘71T 2.2 HP upgrade options.

‘71T 2.2 HP upgrade options.

Hi Folks,

I own a US delivered ‘71T / 5 speed / Weber’s / matching numbers car in original condition. Fair to say the engine is tired and so I am considering a rebuild, albeit the usual question of more hp is at front of mind. I am very keen to maintain period correctness, albeit within these parameters I wanted to ask others what you either have done, or know of for performance upgrades to this specific engine? Factory spec was around 130hp, but what options get me above 150hp, towards 180?

Obviously S pistons, barrels and a cam are an obvious start, with Weber’s retained, however what other suggestions are there for modifying this specific engine? With this scenario, do I retain a decent level of torque, or do I end up with a peaky motor like the 2.2 S?

I had considered building a 2.3 S/T engine on carbs, and perhaps this is the way to go?

What have others done with this dilemma?

Many thanks,

Adam

The HP trail is slick with the the venom of desire. Be careful. Remember, that as hp increases chassis and braking dynamics and requirements change at an exponentially hirer rate. Here's my recommendation. Do nothing and drive your car the way it is and enjoy it as designed by Porsche. Boring advice. If you make changes, make sure you can go back to stock. Keep the old parts and take pixs of them being removed for documentation. My next recommendation is to start reading about the 65-73 911 variants. Search the Forums here and at Pelican Parts. At this website check the whats new section everytime, follow discussions. Educate upself like you are doing here, be patient.

Now here's my trick for speed. Leave the engine stock. Change the gears in the gearbox to a shorter ratio and add an lsd and/or more aggressive ring and pinion. After market shifter. Go to a DE or autocross with your local Porsche club. Tell people you are a newby and people will flock to check out your car and help you.

Learn how to work on your car. Note learn. Never attempt to work on your car when you are first beginning. Go to this forum or Pelican Parts forum and ask for advice. Or go to You Tube and do a search, great stuff there. At Pelican they have a series of tech articles, and I believe on this site as well, that cover all the basics of how to jack up you car (yes its different), to aligning your front wheels.

Anyway, welcome to the board and be save driving. BTW, don't let people bust you b@lls just bcs its a T. Driving a T at the limit on skinny tires is the ticket

The first item to check is to see if you have full throttle, I'll almost guarantee you don't. Have you driven or ridden in an 'S'? Some like the peaky power band. Jackman gives some good advice, don't over engine your chassis.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Some good advice by previous commentators.
    I always opt for more HP within reason. S HP is achievable with mods to your case and Weber’s.
    S calipers will provide more braking.
    Also see Pelican as there is a separate Section on Engine Building.
    Am sure you will find all possible options and builds for your T engine.
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

You could always do what a friend did. Store the matching stock motor and substitute with a built 3.0 liter.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Ditto on the Engine Building forums. Be careful they are very addictive. Check that forum on Christmas morning and you'll always find 8 to 12 guys on the forum.

36 year PCA member
    If interested I have a professionally built 71 2.2 long block that is all new and has not been run. Built by AJRS (Alan Johnson racing services in Grand Junction Co.). Case is a 71 T, standard crank, new P&Cs, totally rebuilt in house E heads, DC30 cams, new Carrera tensioners. Will sell for less than rebuild cost.

Sicarr
    Sounds like a great deal for acf321.....what machine work was needed on the case & size of pistons .etc.
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

if you HAVE to rebuild, there are some pretty proven, reliable combinations that will get you into the 170s and have a very nice motor... and nowhere even close to overmotoring the car. And keeping the case you have w/out boatloads of machine work, twin plugging etc.

Starting with a 2.4 by adding long stroke crank and rods from a 2.4/2.7

E or solex cams.

New 2.2 (still will be a 2.4) piston/cylinder combo to get you into the 9.5 range.

03-19-2015 08:51 PM

Although probably not a drop in..a 3.6 that is already twin plugged, and setup with webers, seems appealing on the surface.

Curved fan blades are out of character imo, or too millenial. Something is not right with them.