Thread: 911 Carrera RS Rear Cross Panel

911 Carrera RS Rear Cross Panel

Hi,

Can someone be so kind and let me know

from which date onwards and for which 911 model(s)

1.rear cross panels were used which had on the left side a small rectangular bulge next to the
    larger indention (with the "Alternator Sticker"):See Image

Name:  IMG_7675.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  58.2 KB

2.rear cross panels were used which showed on the inside of both ends not a curved but a rather angled line?
    See Image

Name:  image003.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  76.9 KB

Thank you for your help

I can tell you that rear panels that have a angled line at the ends are always replacement panels on early 911's (1964 to 1973 cars). Either the originals have been damaged or severe rust was present. I concentrate on the early 911, so I will say with caution that the angel line panel was used on later production 911 (post 1973 cars). But I am not sure when. The angel line panel was all that was available to use as a repair for the rear cross member, so they were used on all cars. I have no data on the yellow car. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Pretty sure the bulge started in 73
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

The little raised bump (I believe to allow an alarm switch) was added in sometime during the 1973 model year. i am not sure when BUT I think it was in 1973 and probably not at the start of 73. it appears in cars made as early as April (and maybe before that) but it is hard to know if panels you see on CURRENT cars of that vintage have not been replaced at some time. I have never seen any paperwork detailing when the change was actually made - It may have come in at about the time the fan strap went from two bolts to one

I have looked at photos I have of various cars (E's S's and RS's Coupe and targa) made between march and may 1973 By may all seem to have them (but a very small sample) In March I did no find any and April was mixed with some having them and some not. I have many more RS photos than others and there are a couple in the low 0800 vin (March) that have them BUT mostly dont until over 1000 (mid april) however the low 0800 cars were treated hard when new and have been extensively restored (and probably repaired back in the day) so are not likley to be original panels

so best guess is a soft transfer in April for all cars (T E S and RS) but as parts ran out so there will be a wide crossover in Vins during that month (especially as they were not produced in vin order)
    Last edited by HughH; 02-14-2019 at 10:59 PM.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776