Thread: How would a complete neophyte ID 356 P/Cs vs 914 P/Cs vs. VW?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How would a complete neophyte ID 356 P/Cs vs 914 P/Cs vs. VW?

I've got a few piston and cylinder sets that could be any one of the three above. I've got no clue what is what and would like to be able to ID these things in the future. Obviously looking at stampings on the parts is a great place to start but sometimes it's hard to find any information based on those numbers. I'm sure many of you can just look and see what they go to but how would someone green ID them? 82.5 Seems to be a common 356 but I believe it's a common vw bore as well.

p.s. sorry the photos came out sideways. I'll try and fix them.

IMG_2434.jpgIMG_2429.jpgIMG_2425.jpgIMG_2418.jpg
    Last edited by jos.hall; 02-12-2019 at 03:40 AM. Reason: photos came out sideways
    Porsche taste on a Volkswagen budget...

Banned
    VW flat; Porsche domed.

Nice gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    VW flat; Porsche domed.

Nice gloves.
    That was the age my frugality finally gave way and I bought a pack of gloves

Banned
    After 46 years of wrenching I still don’t wear them.

Can’t stand em; no feel for what I’m working on.

But for Millennials I think they’re fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    After 46 years of wrenching I still don’t wear them.

Can’t stand em; no feel for what I’m working on.

But for Millennials I think they’re fine.
    77513F8F-7FBE-44BF-80BD-30A14B5C9C1B.jpeg........

Quote Originally Posted by jos.hall View Post
    82.5 Seems to be a common 356 but I believe it's a common vw bore as well.
    Volkswagens never had 82.5 mm cylinders, that size was strictly Porsche 356 and 912.
    The closest Volkswagen cylinders were 77 and 83 mm, the head stud spacings were different and were always cast iron.
    Porsche 1500 pushrod engines had 80 mm cylinders. Porsche 911 engines had 80 and 84 mm cylinders. Porsche 914/4 engines had 90, 93 and 94 mm cylinders.

The Chromal cylinders in your bottom photo are early 356 Super. Alloy cylinders are Porsche, not VW.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
    Volkswagens never had 82.5 mm cylinders, that size was strictly Porsche 356 and 912.
    The closest Volkswagen cylinders were 77 and 83 mm, the head stud spacings were different and were always cast iron.
    Porsche 1500 pushrod engines had 80 mm cylinders. Porsche 911 engines had 80 and 84 mm cylinders. Porsche 914/4 engines had 90, 93 and 94 mm cylinders.

The Chromal cylinders in your bottom photo are early 356 Super. Alloy cylinders are Porsche, not VW.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA
    Jon B! That’s exactly the kind of information that really helps. Thank you.
    I was thinking of the 83mm earlier when I was thinking about 1500cc VWs.