Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MFI warm air intake thingie - Do I need it?

MFI warm air intake thingie - Do I need it?

Car is a '72 T w/MFI. Part in question is #16 in the picture below. Warm air intake regulator. Car will be living in Western Oregon, mild climate. Do I need this thing? I seem to recall seeing someone, somewhere claim that the factory later said it should be removed (maybe only in certain climates), is there really a TSB on that?

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 7.23.13 PM.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  59.0 KB
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

If you feel like its hurting something, then by all means take it off.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    If you feel like its hurting something, then by all means take it off.
    Other way around, Ed. It's missing now, wondering if I need to find one.
    - Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Other way around, Ed. It's missing now, wondering if I need to find one.
    Nope...……. Not for general performance... maybe for concourse originality...

I'd say 80% of every period '73S or RS road tests (most done in the colder Euro climates) don't have it on, or have it on but without the tube (#14) from the air cleaner to the regulator (flapper)… which is like not having it on....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

For many years I had mine off, then for appearance sake at a car show I put it back on, I did notice a subtle improvement in the cold running performance, like in first five minutes of run time, it was very minor but noticeable. So if you don't have one don't fret, but I do keep mine on now, doesn't hurt anything, and may make minor improvement.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks, gentlemen. I'll remove that from my immediate list of potential needs.

I suspected that it truly wasn't necessary, but am still a bit wary of deviations from stock with MFI. If the car had carbs or electronic injection, I would never had questioned this.
    - Arne

only on 72 and 73 models. Seems like an emission thing for US built cars.

Earlier cars got hot air from the hot air tube to the snorkle
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I think my car is louder without it - which makes sense, right? it would act as an intake silencer
    73 911S Targa

Follow up — The car was finally dropped off by the transporter today. Going through the boxes of parts that came with it, and I found the warm air regulator in one of the boxes. The car does not have the proper MFI-type exchanger on the left, but a pair of SSIs is on the list of future things anyway, as these are rusty. I may or may not put it on then, the engine compartment looks a lot cleaner without it.
    - Arne