Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CoA on my 73s

CoA on my 73s

I purchased my 73s..9113300091 from the second Ca. owner in 2011. I verified what I assumed to be matching #'s at that time. In 2012 I ordered a CoA, but never paid any attention to it, simply glanced at it and filed it away. Recently I reviewed it and found a discrepancy with the listed engine # per the CoA and the engine number in my car. No info on the CoA as to transmission #.

My dilemma: my engine # is 6330155 and my chassis # 911330091..early production 73s. The engine # listed on CoA is 6330939. This engine # appears to be more mid production run by the numbers I have. Wrong stated engine # on the CoA? It appears engine # 6330155 in my car is an early production motor as is my car.

Any input would be appreciated. I have no intent to sell this car so I'm not freaking out over non matching #'s, but I would like to determine if CoA is incorrect.
    Previous owner had owned the car since 1974 and believes the motor to be original to the car.

Thanks...
    Last edited by turbo993; 02-16-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Porsche are HOPELESS with COA's and seem to be becoming worse over time
    I agree that the engine you have in the car looks more like the correct one than the one on your COA In fact the car with one Vin after yours 0092 has engine number 6330127

i would ask Porsche for a new COA - dont mention the current one. They will ask your engine and transmission number give them the engine number that you have in the car and see what happens. Either they will give you a COA with those details (problem solved) or they will say no match
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Engine 6330939 is likely to be installed in a car with chassis between 0650 and 0700 ... no way it can be original to yours, unless the car has some special story and was later re-engined by the factory ... but I would bet on a wrong CoA.
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

COA s are no longer available in Europe from Porsche since December 2018, nor is the more recent Build Certificate. Is it not the same stateside? We hear this song s due to costs and data protection.

Quote Originally Posted by majordad View Post
    COA s are no longer available in Europe from Porsche since December 2018, nor is the more recent Build Certificate. Is it not the same stateside? We hear this song s due to costs and data protection.
    Too much work for very little commercial return for them ... I guess ...

Instagram
    Twitter

Thanks for info and validation on what I assumed to be the wrong engine # provided on the COA. Always a Ca. car and owned by previous owner from 1974 until my purchase. Previous owner's buddy was Tim Goodrich and received a cosmetic only restoration by Tim in the late 90's.
    I will request a fresh COA providing my chassis, engine, trans. #'s and hope for correct validation. Pretty sure I only provided my chassis # last time.

Thanks again for feedback.

I had not heard that the COA and BC were no longer available in Europe. I do know that business is brisk for the Kardex (available to end of 1969 MY). Now that 356 owners can get the Reutter Certificate for their cars (up to 1964 IIRC) the data to help restore 356 has improved dramatically. I agree that engine # 6330939 is far too late to have been the originally installed engine for your car, and engine # 6330155 is almost certainly correct. However, I think that you will need to ask for a correction to your COA as opposed to requesting a new one (that sounds like you would have to pay again). I remind people to ask for the option codes as well as the option descriptions to be printed, and to have the Group options broken down into individual sub-options under the group heading. In the past only the VIN was needed, and now all must be supplied for verification; didn't the BC also require photos of the numbers plus general shots? Since there is no Kardex available, from anyone I know, for the 1970 through 1980 cars it is difficult to get good info on them. I can get the engine #, production # and possibly destination market & date of sale for these cars but the cost is steep comparatively.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Just figured out my COA engine # mystery. I checked my transmission # and the last six #'s are 330939. Porsche somehow added a 6 to my 330939 trans # to quote my engine number. Wow...that's creative!

Definitely time to request a fresh COA with me providing all the correct info and hope for the best.

I'm very interested to see how Porsche handles your corrected COA request. I wonder how many other errors like that are lurking on COA's only to be revealed at PPI time? Will a COA error impact value of the car? Who does the COA's anyway? Marketing interns?

Quote Originally Posted by turbo993 View Post
    Just figured out my COA engine # mystery. I checked my transmission # and the last six #'s are 330939. Porsche somehow added a 6 to my 330939 trans # to quote my engine number. Wow...that's creative!

Definitely time to request a fresh COA with me providing all the correct info and hope for the best.
    That makes sense, considering that trans in the 0092 is (7)330934 ...

Instagram
    Twitter