Thread: 261 = Plain Drivers Side Mirror

261 = Plain Drivers Side Mirror

HI,

Any ideas on what type of mirror this would be? This is all that is listed on my options list for an early 1971 911T Targa.

Would the car have had only had one mirror installed, i.e. Drivers Side?

Thanks,
    Derek
    Last edited by 911AUS; 02-20-2019 at 11:40 PM.

My information is: Outside mirror L plain
    This could be an option on a RHD car, but would likely be a standard part on a LHD car.
    Usually, with dual mirrors, the passenger side would have curved glass to give the driver better views; but this has plain flat glass.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

This is in a German Delivered LHD car. 911T. I am guessing, however, any rear view mirror may have been an option back then your European deliveries.

I am keen to know if it would be a square or round type?

THANKS

There were two different (external) passenger side rear view mirror options - at least with the large round Durant - so would cover your 71
    One was M528 (passenger side mirror convex) and the other was M261 (passenger side mirror flat)
    they ALSO had different mounting positions (something i just learned recently trying to research this)
    Unlike some comments that I have seen posted BOTH were symmetrical on the car (not staggered which would enable you to see out of both properly)

The cars with Convex passenger mirrors M528 had BOTH mirrors positioned further back (with the mirror behind the base of the A pillar) and as a result the base was mounted at an angle so that the driver could see out of his side
    the cars with flat passenger mirrors had both mounted in the more forward position (and where just the drivers one would be if there was no passenger one) This meant that the mirrors were not mounted at an angle

the yellow car shown below (both sides) is a RHD one but with option M528 and you can see where the mirrors are mounted and the angle they are mounted at (a good tell for M528) compared to the white car (mine) which only has one mirror in the standard position (forward)

EDIT
    and here is a red car with two mirrors in the forward position so IF they were factory installed they would have been M261 with a flat passenger mirror

911AUS was the mirror in question on your car, given it was made LHD, originally on the passenger (RHS) of the car or the LHS?
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by HughH; 02-20-2019 at 07:51 PM. Reason: extra photo
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Great information Hugh! I assume the mirrors are not handed and so can be mounted on either side to compliment driver location. Did the doors have nuts welded inside? Both locations? If not, what procedure was needed to install a mirror where the factory did not install one.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers