Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jan 1966 does this look correct ??

Thumbs up Jim for those details.

Am in a bit of a "pickle" with the car,,, various reasons which i am hoping to resolve in the next day or two.
    As with a lot of these earlier cars they have had various levels of 'quality' work done to them over the years and this one is no different.
    Mostly superficial but it is those really hard to find finishing details that are very hard to rectify.
    Later model seats (chrome hinged) but with head rests thru the top of the backs and rear of the rear seat backs are the funniest Ive ever seen!!
    Dash knobs and switches (a mix match of whatevers)
    Radio ( 70's Clarion) (( made me laugh as the dash is so fugly that it doesn't have a speaker grill anyway))
    Underseal ( even on the Koni's that have lost the rubber bump stops)
    Shall I carry on ???
    Suspension bushes including engine mount bushes all stuffed.

Upsides

Matching numbered and the engine had a very good rebuild 10 years ago and only traveled 5000miles
    Gearbox (5 speed) is smooth and NO whines but shifter need new bushes as it as wobbly as me after a few haha
    Lead weights up front
    Glass and brightwork is all there but needs complete new seals.
    OG rear deck lid and grill
    Front hood OG
    OG 12 65 steel wheels

In general a good ""driver"" once the bushes etc ""safety stuff" has been sorted

Vin 303404 Jan 66 MY and Matching # via Kardex if any info can be sourced via the "powers that be"

All in all probably one of the oldest model 911 here in NZ that is road legal.

PS she pull hard and sounds great, like a 2 litre on Solex's should ((( not that I have ever heard them before )))

Once again ,, many thanks for all posts to date.

ps,,,, YES those carpets are NOT original lol

Name:  Image 21-02-19 at 12.08 PM.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  88.9 KB
    Last edited by NZVW; 02-25-2019 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Add Photo
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by VA_alfa View Post
    It’s hard to tell from the photo but it appears that your cams are spraybar lube instead of center lube. I can’t see the oil lines connecting to the chain covers. If I remember correctly the January 66 cars still had center lube cams.
    The change from center lube cams occurred before Jan 66

Regards

Jim

JB, I am a little confused and am the 1st to step up and state that although I am quite familiar with the 72 I own I do not have a lot of knowledge about the earlier engines.

The "spray bar verses center lube" cam issue has me flummoxed.

Question ... From what I can gather the engine in this car has "sray bar cam lube" ,, is this the correct type for it being a January 66 running solex carbs via duel Pierburg pumps???

Thanks in advance.
    Mark

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    To be specific, the Little Specifications Booklet gives the last engine number with center-lubricated cams:

Name:  Camshafts.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  166.2 KB

Some of the published numbers (mostly from the Early 911S Registry) give production dates for cars with these engine numbers:
    • 903154 -- 25 Nov 1965
    • 903143 -- 24 Nov 1965

The switch to Weber carburetors came later:

Name:  Solex_specs.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  133.7 KB

This begs the question of whether the last Solex engine was finished on 21 February 1966 or was the car with the last Solex engine finished on 21 February 1966. I don't have data for any cars near engine 903910.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by NZVW View Post
    JB, I am a little confused and am the 1st to step up and state that although I am quite familiar with the 72 I own I do not have a lot of knowledge about the earlier engines.

The "spray bar verses center lube" cam issue has me flummoxed.

Question ... From what I can gather the engine in this car has "sray bar cam lube" ,, is this the correct type for it being a January 66 running solex carbs via duel Pierburg pumps???

Thanks in advance.
    Mark

Your cams are correct for a late 65/early 66 car. The change happened in July or August of 65. The info is
    Contained in the pile of manuals pictured. Drop by my table at the Lit Meet and you are welcome to look it up before I sell all of these things.

Regards

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Many thanks to both of you
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    To be specific, the Little Specifications Booklet gives the last engine number with center-lubricated cams:

Name:  Camshafts.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  166.2 KB

Some of the published numbers (mostly from the Early 911S Registry) give production dates for cars with these engine numbers:
    • 903154 -- 25 Nov 1965
    • 903143 -- 24 Nov 1965

The switch to Weber carburetors came later:

Name:  Solex_specs.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  133.7 KB

This begs the question of whether the last Solex engine was finished on 21 February 1966 or was the car with the last Solex engine finished on 21 February 1966. I don't have data for any cars near engine 903910.

Jim

Thanks for the info. Of course, it is in the Spec Book! Don’t know why I didn’t look there. It is right in front of me.
    By the way, your car looks great on the cover of Panarama. It made me, actually remove it from the wrapper and look inside instead of tossing it on my pile of unread magazines.

Regards and Congrats

Jim B
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mark, sorry for the incorrect info about the centelube/spraybar cams. I thought the changeover was with the Solex carbs in February 66.
    Alex in Virginia

Looking for:
    ward to driving my car!

Early 911S Registry # 2863

No need for 'sorry' Alex.

So many changes on so many parts over such a very short period are enough to certainly confuse the best of us (me not included) and another example of just how wonderful this forum is and the depth of knowledge our members have.
    Mark